2.2 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.4 GHz) or 2.5 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.7 GHz) quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 6MB shared L3 cache.

MacBook Pro is only charging with 0.1-6.2 Watts

As the title says, my MacBook is only charging with low wattage, there are two screenshots from coconutBattery attached.

It might have something to do with battery, as the computer was not used in almost a month. A service provider has tested every component and they said it is a faulty battery.

Have any of you had this problem? What did you do to fix it?

Apparently, the problem is within the logic board, the computer was dropped before and I guess some connections could have broken.

Then it sounds like the SMC charging logic is damaged here. Time for a visit to the local Apple Store or authorized service center.

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

Most Helpful Answer

Did they try using a different mag-safe adapter?

Apple OEM Replacement Battery

Please note: this battery is difficult to replace and there is currently no guide. The battery cells are held in the upper case with strong adhesive. Use great care to avoid bending or puncturing the cells. Only use plastic tools when prying.

MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Late 2013-Mid 2014) Battery

Here a link to a last resort if we can't figure it out:

https://support.apple.com/mac-notebooks/...

MacBook Pro 15" Retina (Late 2013-Mid 2014) Battery Image

Product

$89.99

They have used a working MagSafe board (the one inside of the computer) and a working MagSafe charger. Here is a transcript:

"MRI (Apple’s simple hardware test) OK.

NBD (Apple’s battery and adapter test) OK with known good adapter.

NBD OK with customers adapter.

Issue persists with known good MagSafe board.

Isolated issue to battery."

Where to get service in Sweden:

https://locate.apple.com/se/en/service/?...

First I would make sure the MagSafe chargers cord and connector are in good shape often charging problems are related to a damaged cord or connector. Do you have any cuts, bumps or exposed wires in the cord? If you do you'll want to throw the charger away and get a new one.

Next I would clean the contact surfaces of both the charger and the computer with a slightly dampened cotton swab (Q-Tip) with isopropyl alcohol making sure the contact surfaces where clean. Also inspect them for any damage to the pins and the contacts look shiny and the plastic not melted. If not you'll need to replace the adapter or DC-In board.

If these are both OK, I would then reset the SMC following this Apple T/N: Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac.

Hopefully that fixes things.

I have tried everything you have mentioned and even though my charger is not in pristine condition, the service technicians said it was fine.

Appreciate the help!

Then I would try a second battery. But, before you take your old one out just carefully plug in the new one making sure nothing sorts out. If that didn't change things then the charging logic is having problems on your main logic board.

And that is the problem, I live in Sweden so it is hard to get this specific battery, but I will look into it. Thanks once again :)

Here's one source thats near you: Retina MacBook Pro 15" Battery (Late 13/14). You'll need to check here: UPS Dangerous Goods Service Areas : Lithium Ion Batteries (Section II UN3480) to see if they can ship to you. You might have a friend in the area serviced, then meet up with them. Just remember you might need to return it.

Hi Kventin

Did you ever resolve the charging issues with your macbook? I have the same problem with a MBP 2009 , it only charge to 43% and then charges at 0.1 watt, and the magsafe connector never goes green, always orange, ,

Regards

Richard

Hi!

Unfortunately, I have not. However, it has started charging properly all of a sudden, but the problem came back.

Hope you find a solution!

Thanks for the quick Reply Kventin, it's easy to change the battery on a MBP, If this fixes the issue , you should be confedent this will fix the issue on your macbook, the battery on your model are glue , they are quite easy to change, I have changed batteries on apple Ipad ,ipod ,iphone

Regards

Richard

Hey guys, I had this same exact issue with my 2011 macbook pro core i7 15 inch. It’s down to the terrible batteries that they give you with the replacement kit. I went through 3 different warranty batteries and I still had the same problem and I knew my logic board was fine because the original battery charged at 40 watts. After that, I was done with ifixits stupid battery replacements and I went over to emacsales to a newertech battery and the newertech battery charges at 40 watts all the way up to 90 percent like it should.

Hi. I have the same issue. How did you resolve it with iFixit?

Regards Samuel

Kventin Shipulin will be eternally grateful.