Released September 16, 2016. Model 1660, 1778 Available as GSM or CDMA / 32, 128 or 256 GB / Rose gold, gold, silver, black, and jet black.

iPhone 7 home button not working after screen replacement

iphone 7 home button not working after screen replacement, help

You have replaced the screen on a phone that was only released three days ago?

yes , I have actually made

I have the same problem, we tested two phones and the same problem happened after changing the original screen!!!!!!

is the heading really right, "iPhone 7"

How the heck did you actually break it already?

A lot of questions here and few answers. Here's my take after gauging the repair community and doing some screen replacements myself in our store:

FACT 1: the home button has an embedded chip on the backside of the button. To use simple words, this chip stores the key that allows the board to recognize it. Thus if you use a different home button, whether original or aftermarket, the board will not recognize the home button.

As a result, the non-native home button will not be able to scan the finger print and will not react to any input. The phone will act as if it's missing the home button completely. A message will also appear "Touch ID cannot be activated." The only way to have the home button function in this case is by using the assistive touch aka virtual on-screen home button. And the only way to wake the phone would be by using the power button or raise to wake.

FACT 2: Apple - and only in an Apple owned Apple Store, but starting to show up at some AASPs as I write this - can replace the screen and home button and reprogram the new home button and pair it with the board/phone. If a third party repair shop or DIYer damage the home button during repair, or the owner breaks it somehow, or it fails, the only way to have a home button function restored at this date is to take it to an Apple Store or one of those AASPs that are starting to receive the pairing machine.

FACT 3: Apple did nothing to prevent replacing screens with OEM or aftermarket parts. If you replace the screen and transfer the home button without damaging it, everything will work normally. But expect cheap parts to perform poorly. So invest in good quality parts from reputable vendors. Replacement screens should be as close as possible to Apple screens in terms of : color fidelity, backlight, touch, force touch, durability, frame lifting, frame finishing.

FACT 4: many replacement screens have a defective home button interconnect cable. When the home button works with the original screen but not the replacement screen, it is a bad screen and you need to warranty it or replace it. And yes a whole batch can be defective.

However, sometimes while disassembling the iPhone, you damage the home button extension cable on the broken screen, then you try to fit a bad replacement part. Now home button doesn't work on neither the old nor the new screen, and you assume the home button itself has failed. Well no, sometimes it hasn't.

FACT 5: you may damage the home button and completely lose all functions, specially if you tear the home button cable. Some very patient people resolder the pieces together. I would rather fit an original broken screen together with the damaged home button and send them to an Apple Store for complete screen assembly replacement and pairing (see FACT 2). The cost of the new screen from Apple is comparable in price to the cost of stitiching the broken home button back together in my opinion.

FACT 6: in some instances, a chip (other than the one in FACT 1) present on the home button is damaged (specially during transfer of home button from broken to new screen). When damaged and failing, this chip will prevent home button function from working such as to exit an app and go back to home screen. But the finger print scanner would still be working and you are able to wake/unlock the screen with your finger/fingerprint and use reachability. This chip is accessible (contrary to the fingerprint scanner chip in FACT 1 which is practically unreachable) can be replaced and the issue can be fixed. Sometimes a partial tear to the home button cable can cause the same failure. It is also repairable by some people with the right tools, skill, and patient mindset.

EDIT: New Fact (7)

FACT 7: some repair techs noticed that a damaged front cam assembly can interfere with the functioning of the Home Button/Touch ID. To rule out this possibility, test the Home Button + Touch ID functions after disconnecting the front camera flex cable.

Hope this will be of any help and feel free to message me for additional info or clarifications. I'll be happy to share.

@rany , Thanks for the FACT's, nice write up.

Are you saying that if you rip the home button itself that you can desolder the chip and move it to a new home button and you would get both touch id and home button functionality back?

No RamseyF I am not saying that. Read the last paragraph again.

I have been doing iPhone 7/7P as soon as the replacement screen was available. I successfully fixed over 100 iPhone 7/7P, however I just stared to run into this situation with the home button not working, it happened with 4 of my recent repairs. At first I though it was a batch of defective screens, I ordered the highest quality OEM iPhone 7/7P replacement screens, and the same issue happened with the iPhone 7 home button. So my conclusion is that the latest 2 IOS updates messed with the software, with a combination of the replacement screen. Even after replacing the original broken screen back on with the original home button, still not working. I find it hard to believe that after 100 successful repairs, I,m taking off the home button wrong. As or now I stopped accepting repairs for Iphone 7/7P until a validated solution is found.

Bro @m&d you should be accepting in other for us all to find this cure. Without the phone at hand u cant find the exact problem. Some phones have to be a labrats for the experiment. Again surely the problem was not with the resent update bcos the one who created this thread experienced the problem less than a week after the release of the phone. To which the os was at 10. Yet he experience that myth. So i could say u were doing something right during ur 100 success. But It wasnt the OS problem.

Most Helpful Answer

Hey! Jasen here, from the iFixit team. We played around with some of our iPhone 7 units and swapped around a few screens. We were able to successfully swap a screen from one iPhone 7 to another iPhone 7—and the Touch ID/home button worked after the swap for us.

Interested to see some of the results you all get after you swap screens, too. Keep posting here with your results! We'll keep testing on our side, too.

Hey Jasen, thanks for your great news!

Did you try to swap complete with home button on or did you also transfer the home button from one screen to the other?

Hi Aldrin, we transferred the home button from screen to screen, but kept it with its original iPhone 7.

Ah great! Wanted to make sure that the button doesn't break when you try to remove it :-) thanks for the info Jasen.

Have a great weekend!

I have swaped an intact iphone 7 screen to a broken lcd iphone 7 ( only lcd without home buttons)

First result was totally unresponsive home button.

As a second try, i swaped lcd with home buttons, the result was same.

3rd try: i have updated IOS , no change

4th try : i placed the broken screen back with its home button, It works.

Any idea or guide about how to change iphone 7 screen?

I have a repair shop but no experience for iphone 7 yet

Thank you

Same thing is happening with me apple cant physically do anything etheir looks like I have to wait like 5-10 days for them to fix it

Ok I think that finally I found the problem so first I want to explain something.

A guy wrote here that he just opened an iPhone 7 and he didn't unplugged anything and the home button stop working. I already open 4 iphone 7 and after open the phone using a heat gun the home button still works fine before unplug anything so the heat won't damage the home button.

Other people is writing that maybe is because the replacement screen is not original well that is not the cause why the home button stop working neither because I just replace the glass from the LCD for two iPhones 7 and the home button stop working and that is with the original LCD and cables.

So the problem that I found so far is when yes tried to remove the big metal plate from the screen where the large home button cable goes under with glue. We apply heat on that plate to be able to separate that plate from the cable and looks like the cable is really really soft so even if you don't break it inside gets damage so we replace the backlight with that cable and the home button start to works fine again.

Conclusion: we found that using the original LCD but replacing the backlight with the long cable will solve the issue (we solve the issue twice so far)

I had a case that it rules out your idea.

i7 cracked screen is swapped by another i7 keeping original HB .

I applied heatgun for both screens to replace HB.

Screen replaced i7 HB didnt responded at all. The i replaced screens again back. HB worked perfect.

if i had damged the home button flex cables runnin through the backside of screen, my question is that "why own home button works fine with damaged HB cable"

Answer should be "there must be another mistery"

I dont dare to replace i7 screen for customers, i have a repairshope having 5-10 screens repaired a day,

I changed a iphone 7 screen . I did a full swap with home button from one iPhone 7 good screen to another iPhone 7 with a bad screen . Home button didn't work I thought maybe it's cuz u need the original home button but seeing this thread it seems u guys ran into the same issue . Home button doesn't click or respond smh

I can confirm that this solution works. Did my first one today. You have to carefully cut the adhesive around the top and 1/4" of the top of each side. From that point, use a wax-coated playing card, cut down approximately 1/2" from the width, and separate the rest of the backing plate from the layers of the lcd screen. Be EXTRA careful to not damage the final foil layer above the 3D touch pad. Remove the parts of the new screen, and replace it from the old screen. The chip that is in the backing plate contains some sort of signature that works in conjunction with the home button. Make sure that you've cleaned ALL debris from the inner layers of the LCD. Even a clear piece of debris shows up at a black spot on the display. 91% alcohol and a lint-free / scratch free medium. DON'T USE MICROFIBER!!!

Out of curiosity, and for the purpose of experimentation and discussion: would a 6s screen work similarly? The buttons have always worked for me, but if one were required to change a home button, could you use one from a broken / unusable phone if you replace the 3D touch layer as described above?

EDIT: I have disassembled a 6S screen. They are identical, except that the backlight is at the bottom on the 7, and across the top on the 6S. I will edit this in the future as the opportunity presents itself. I'd be glad to walk someone through trying it, if they have the spare broken phones around.

Hey Guys,

Maybe I should post this in the iPHone 6S thread too. After updating to iOS 10, I find that non OEM screens are not working on iPhone 6S.

This could be related here if the replacement you're using for the iPHone 7 is non OEM. I think Apple has added a new 'security' measure.

Notice the chip on the back of the iPHone 6S screens. They could be using that to authenticate with the motherboard...

The touch ic chip is behind the screen too. Don't forget that.

I was definately changing out third party displays on 6S with ios10 beta. I'm almost positive I just did it the other day, on a 6S with iOS 10. It was a long time customer and we were catching up. So I could be wrong. Haven't worked on a 7 yet. Whose getting displays, or customers willing to pay for less than $250?

Did you swap the original home button to the new LCD?

the original home button does not work on the new LCD , only on the old lcd

Even for 2 new LCDs?

Yes for 2 new LCDs

Interesting. Now we need more samples to experiment, so we can confirm the issue and maybe find a workaround.

Same I am interested too, haven't found anyone that has been successful in changing the screen while retaining the home button to work normally.

I had the same problem. But I got it fixed. The 3D Touch and home button cable (one cable) is very fragile. Remove the metal backplate on the back of the screen an check the complete cable. Mine was broken. I replace the whole backlight + 3D Touch (Removing of the old backlight + 3D Touch is very hard) and the Touch ID is working without any problems.

If you have any questions feel free to write me a message.

well this maybe make sense.

This is confirmed working

That is correct. I have given detailed instructions above on how to do the transfer. 3 for 3 so far.

Did same thing....just swap original home button from an original cracked screen to a second screen, gave me a unresponsive touch id/homebutton. tryed swap back on original cracked scree and all working. so, don't know if the second new screen arrived with bad flat connector, or if apple put something that need to match ( like a chip somewhere in the backlight) with home button, but i swapped in the new screen, the old metal backplate, and ALL WORKS OK :) thank you Marius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DIuNHTN...

It is after market screens, we see this every year with the new iPhones. There is always something manufacturers need to work the kinks out. The 5C had bad touch issues, the 6 had frame lifting issues, 6s with force touch and now with the 7 it's the aftermarket force touch/backlight again.

We should be getting answers from suppliers. And iFixit screens do the same thing, I've tried. I've only had a couple screens from different suppliers work. It's like a needle in a haystack right now.

This is a repost, but we had this same issue happen today. we had fixed about 10-12 i7 and 7 plus phones to date with no issues, but on this one the home button stopped responding (fingerprint worked fine). After swapping screens, trying donor phones, etc, nothing. So we backed up phone, dropped it to DFU mode and did a complete restore. Home button came back just fine.

I posted earlier that we had this issue, did a reconnect dropped phone to DFU and restored and were fine. Since then we have fixed 50+ iphone 7 and 7 plus models, and no issues at all, I think for us that first one was an early batch issue similar to issues with haptic feedback on 6s series.

How did you get into dfu mode if the home button wasn't working Peter?

There are utilities that can force phones into DFU mode. I use one in my store all the time for repairs. It's called RecBoot. Basically, you plug in the phone to a computer and have RecBoot force it into DFU mode. Super easy.

iPhone 7 doesn't use home buttons to go in to dfu mode it's uses power and volume down button

Austin Taylor FTW!!!!

After having an issue with an iPhone 7's home button not working (but the touchID on the replacement screen WAS working, strangely enough) yesterday, I was being rather cautious with an iPhone 7 today. I used a heat gun to heat up the back of the phone (low heat to the point of the metal just getting "warm") and a slight bit of heat on the edges of the screen, avoiding the home button. I used a razor blade to slide under the edges of the screen, no more than 1/8" in. I didn't disconnect ANYTHING, but when I turned the phone back on to test, neither the home button nor touchID worked any longer. Again, aside from merely lifting the screen off the metal frame, this is the untouched original screen and home button I'm talking about. Also, I thought it might have been my imagination but I could've sworn while I was heating the back (and the phone was off) I felt the haptic feedback engine vibrate, like the home button had been touched.

Update 15 minutes later: both touchID and the home button work on the after-market replacement screen so I'm assuming the original screen's home button cables were damaged in the repair. I think it was the heat, even slight as it was--there is NO damage to the cables from the razor blade. I have not yet installed the rear metal frame to the after-market screen. NOTE: one thing I did different from yesterday's failed repair was this time I did NOT remove the tiny rubber ring on the inside of the home button, which I thought was merely for waterproofing. I'm thinking maybe that is vital in the functionality of this new home button. I also made sure that the home button metal bracket was properly in place (the plastic bump on the left side was fully inside the circular gap of the bracket) and the three other screws were in place before putting the screw for the actual home button in. I've also made a habit of not putting the home button on my magnetic screw pad.

Final update: after market screen is fully installed and touchID and home button are still working properly.

Thanks.. this is interesting.. as this points to "heat" again as the culprit. As you describe, you avoided the HB pointing the heat gun to the sides only, but it might just be, that it picked up some heat anyway. I am often surprised, how much "rouge heat"is picked up by unintended items, such as metal tools lying next to, or even close to eg. iPads.. where I am using more heat than any other repair. When taking of the screen assembly, I pry it loose at the bottom, and then work my way around with my thumb nail, while lifting the frame away.. It's a lot faster, and 100% safe for the housing - No scratches - No heat!

Oh, by the way. If you read this "Ged", please don't give this guy a minus for sharing his experience, while it might not be a "solution", the way to such a thing is often paved with experiences... thanks!

This EXACT same thing happened to me yesterday. I don't do repairs for a living but for just family and close friends. I knew the iPhone 7 required a tri wing driver but didn't realize a 000 one. I opened the phone using VERY light heat around the edges and used metal spudger to break into it. I was able to remove the shields to pop off the cables and then realized the screw heads were way too small for the tip I had. I proceeded to just put the phone back together and now the home button is useless and so is 3D Touch. I was extremely careful with this phone. I always am to begin with but especially when it's the first time I do one. Are we concluding that even the SLIGHTEST heat is indirectly is causing this issue? That's crazy. I have the new screen and when I get the proper tools I will go ahead and do the swap. Any suggestions moving forward?

Jared Guthrie no we are not concluding that the heat caused damage.. we are concluding that you inserted a tool more than you should and damaged the cables or you tore the when lifting the screens.

Heat is definitely not the issue.

You have damaged the cable using your tool more than likely, since both 3D Touch and home button don't work, that's a clear sign that that the cable has been damaged as they both go through the same cable.

Posting here so I can stay on this thread

I am repairing an iPhone 7 plus and changed the screen, as original was broken, keeping all other original parts like top camera/speaker and home button, i have found that with the top camera/speaker connected to the motherboard the home button stops working and there is roughly a 5-10 second delay on the screen, with the top camera/speaker disconnected everything works completely fine with no delay and i can use the home button completely fine, i have tried this with the original broken screen and same issue is happening with that even though it worked fine before (the digitiser was just cracked badly), also now i have replaced home button and camera/speaker with new parts, and still having same issue.

i'm thinking it's something to do with the hardware on the phone but unsure, please help.

I have the same problem, do you found any solution???

After a few attemps i found the problem and the solution, was the position of the flex cable of the camera, you need to put connect the flex on the position with the cable down, if you connect the cable in the other position the home button stop working...

Check the inner cables where the home button connects and make sure all of the connections are solid

I have tested it several times , but the home button will not answer, I have tested with two LCDs,

it only works with the original LCD that iPhone has come with,it's really weird problems.

it has to be the original homebutton for it to work. it is unik to the original screen so touch id will not work with screen replacement.

Try swapping the home button link cable using the original one on the new screen. It is under the wielding on the lcd

Do you already know if this solved it?

I dought it I notice this after disconnecting the screen and plug it back in the home bottom was no longer working I had a working iPhone 7 no crack I when a head and took out the screen and truly it in the other one and the homebotton was not workin at in the other phone with a different assembly and home bottom I when ahead and took it out and place in its original iPhone and orginAl screen but the home bottom stop working on both phones what to do what could this possibly means as a repair store

Someone try this, Make a back up of iPhone 7, Replace the screen with a aftermarket screen, seal it up and then put it in DFU mode, let it wipe it self then restore it in DFU mode. just interested to see if it will replace the firmware and accepting the new screen and the HB as the original. I would do it but I do not have a iPhone 7 for testing.

No it won't. The HB has to be reset by service software, any user level operations simply refuse to work. This has been proven countless times so don't waste time and money.

And again!!! to add. I think u will need the HB to put the phone to DFU mode. So after swapping HB is no more working which mean u cannot enter DFU again. This is serious. Dont waste ur time as @tomchai said above.

On the iPhone 7 in stead of holding the home button you hold down the volume down button for the reset so thinking you should be able to put iPhone in to DFU using th same method, haven't tried but just thinking it would work.

I haven't heard that would work. But if we don't know, we should at least try. This could be a way that Apple has tried to lock us (repairmen) out of working on these phones. Like error 53

Yes that will not work unfortunately, the phone will simply restart over,and over, you need the exact same parts for it..

Has anyone found a reliable work around or can verify that replacement screens will not work. I'm still getting conflicting reports. Some say the button not working is just a bad repair, others are saying Apple is up to nastiness again.

John K

Owner

www.the-screen-savers.com

Hi Guys

Sharing here, my experiences with iPhone 7 screen repairs:

Until last week, I've done 7-8 LCD original Foxconn assemblies, (and one refurbished assembly), all without any home button, or other issues.

For all of these, I have re-used HB/Touch key, and all other "small parts", moving them over from the cracked screens. I have NOT moved the back plate, with HB key extension cable,

I have only used VERY little heat on the lower part of the LCD metal back plate, to get the adhesive to let go of the LCD/Touch flex. Very little heat is needed, as the material is thin, and heats up in a flash. Better to apply a tiny amount of heat, than to pull the flex cables.

BUT my lucky streak ended suddenly... The one I got in the shop last week, had a broken screen, AND a small crack in the HB glass disc. HB was/is dead.. (also before screen replacemnt, which the customer forgot to tell me). So, no click / no touch.

It was dropped onto pavement, from "chest height", and the phone is now useless, and I can't help my costumer, due to these sneaky / childish construction politics from Apple, and because he dropped it, he has no warranty either.

The result, is one ridiculously expensive "Jet Black - 256GB" - just ONE month old, and ready for scrap.

It amazes me, that Apple even bother to spend time and money deliberately creating hassle, and annoyances for their own costumers, and subsequently for us "repair-dudes". They are making billions, so I really don't get the point. This could prove to be an even greater annoyance than "Error 53", if they don't fix it somehow, in later IOS'es.

I actually hope, that there is another explanation to this, but even after serious speculating, I still don't get why the HB's has to be paired with the logic boards? Some intelligent ppl tried to explain, that "it is constructed that way, to make it harder to work around the touch ID feature". But why should pairing the specific reader to the board make that any harder. You only have 5 or so attempts, until the iPhone requires the pass code anyway. Furthermore, I presume that the "finger print data", read during setup, is stored in the logic board.. NOT in the IC on the flex, and thus the whole pairing-idea makes absolutely no sense.. not to me anyhow.

As a result of all this, plus the missing mini jack, the protruding camera lens, the awkwardly positioned "sleep key" key, the monopoly (and a few other annoyances), I have decided, that my own next phone, will be a fling with the brand, that has an "i" in the end of the name... not in the beginning!

This isn't a solution, it's more of a rant.

And the home button was broken beforehand, as you mentioned, therefore this has nothing to do with the repair.

HB to board link has to be encrypted to make sure data can't be read by malicious hardware or software hacks. However Apple chose a simple static symmetrical key encryption instead of complex, secure but replaceable public key setup.

In their perspective, "we" can repair it, so it is repairable. "We" don't care what 3rd party guys do.

Thanks Tom.. for adding a little sense to the construction. I didn't think of that.. but seriously. Would anybody ever try to steal finger print data..? I have a hard time imagining it, but of course.. the POSSIBILITY is there, and with Apples "crazy super top security level", they might just want to block that.. ;-)

@Ged:

Yes, I was frustrared at the time.. and, I never declared what I wrote as a solution. I even wrote in the very first line, that I was "sharing my experiences", obviously in regard to disassembly avoiding to damage the HB extension-flex.. thus trying to help other users.. so thanks a lot for the minus.. I was wrong of course, deserving the minus, and I really respect you, for setting me straight like that.

Solved it. I recently had this issue on a iPhone 7 Plus. I replaced the screen just fine first time. I then noticed that the sensor that turns off the screen when making a call was not working.

Upon opening the phone a second time when I put it back together I got the message about home button may needing service. The phone was also extremely slow. The front facing camera was not working, nor the sensor. Many apps stopped working.

With my electron repair microscope I could spot a problem with the motherboard. I replaced the small chips and all was working well. It gave me a few hours of headake and rabbit holing.

This issue is mostly due to a defective screen, but can sometimes be motherboard.

I own and run a small repair shop in sweden.

It's something else, other stuff is going on. We constant having issue that we had to stop repairing iPhone 7 in our store. I was playing around with my person iPhone 7 today. I opened my phone 140 degree and without doing anything else I put it back and homebutton stop responding. It's reading my finger print but no click.

I have repaired many iPhone 7 and 7 plus, and haven't had any issues.

If the home button stopped responding after just opening it, you've either damaged the cable on the right hand side of the phone.

Or you are using too much heat, there is a small chip that resides on the home button flex, if this is damaged, then Touch ID will still work, but normal home button function won't, this will need to be replaced, reballed, or maybe even a reflow will work.

It's something you are doing though.

I guess did 2 7 plus today, took my time on it. Came out real good.

I think I just have to be real careful

Its Apple software. Did all of the suggestions, premium screen, power cycle, restore, reused factory ribbon cable, other screens, etc. No joy. Allowed it to updated from 10.3.2, to 10.3.3 and voila! It all works.

Recommendation: Do not allow the phone to be powered with any of the hardware disconnected and keep original Home button. The hardware was fine. The phone appears to have sensed it was opened and/or hardware replaced and went into a snit. No doubt Apple will claim it is a security issue, probably the security of the repair $$$$.

The Home button on iPhone 7 will not work if you replaced a new screen. If your screen is broken and wants the home button works, send your iPhone to an Apple store.

Not true... you need to remove the old HB (carefully!) to the new screen. Simple research my friend :)

what is HB ?

HB means Home Button

My experience on this is two fold... you either break the HB or the screen flex is faulty. Of hundreds ive done this is the only two issues ive seen. I thought i had a broken HB on one of the latest repairs, tried 5 different screens and gave up. Turns out i had a bad batch of non oem screens that had faulty flex (serious bad luck there!).

Just be careful with the HB removal (gently pry up a little to the right, a but of iso spray and a playing card and comes out nice, be gentle around the u10 ic chip (the large ic in the middle of the HB), it can be replaced but you need skillz!

Get quality screens, i know people like to maximise profits by cheaping out on screens but its not worth it for the ip7 as it stands, you only end up moving the HB more and that causes extra stress on a already weak cable. We go refurbished original LCDs from now on and have great results, around 95% of all screens work perfectly.

Ive not seen any issues or with SW or just by opening them up, IMO they are just myths for bad repairs.

Cracked my i7 screen. I open the screen and realized it was a lot more effort than other iphones. I put the screen back down. Now home button will not initialize.

Any suggestions?

The issue is the i7 after market home button cannot work, at least for me I tried a couple of them but no success.

The issue is the after market home buttons cannot work for the i7, at least for me I tried a couple of them and nothing.

Albert will be eternally grateful.