Repair and disassembly guides for GE Microwave ovens.

Replacing Capacitor with a slightly less capacitance

My old Candy Microwave has a 1.2uF 2100V Capacitor. I could not find a replacement with the same capacitance, but only one with 1.14 uF 2100V. Would it be OK to replace with that one?

The value of the capacitor is not that critical, it does not effect the resonant frequency of the magnetron. Using that capacitor will give you slightly less power but you wont notice the difference. The voltage rating should be at least as much as the origional capacitor. I repaired Microwave ovens for 30 years.

well, I have a similar issue. the original capacitor was 1MFD, but on testing the capacitance of a replacement part, it shows 0.6 MFD, almost half. will this work ?

replaced the diode, magnetron cold test ok, replaced with a new one, didn't work so put back the original one.

No, you need to use one that has the same specs as the old one. You should be able to find one online with the model number that's on the old one, or perhaps contacting the manufacturer for the part number. Circuits are designed with certain specs, that if altered, could cause poor performance (not as much power as before) or burn something else out. Digi-key is a good place to look for electronic parts too.

Can you get the correct one from Mouser Electronics? http://www.mouser.com

That 1.2 uf cap is in a tuned circuit (with inductor) which has to do with frequency and should be replaced with same value. The replacement will probably work since values of components will change slightly over time but I would still stick to the original value.

Personally, being that it is a microwave I would have no problem changing it out with that cap. 0.06uF should be within tolerance. Worst case you may be putting additional wear on something else down the line.

Eng Sharifdeen will be eternally grateful.