Mid 2009 Model A1278 / 2.26 or 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo processor EMC 2326

Flashing question mark on startup,

The notebook does not think the internal HD by disk utility, I can boot from cd rom and the hd connected to the internal USB port, it is functioning normally. I installed another HD compatible and still does not recognize. It may be a defective cable or flex in the parent? Thanks.

Marco.

Performed the procedures suggested and still nothing.

Could you restate the question. I just don't understand it as stated?

1. Question mark at startup.

2. No problem in HD.

3. In disk utility the internal hard drive does not appear.

4. However, the USB port it works normally.

4. CD-ROM also gives boot.

5. I think the problem is with the flex cable from the HD.

Guys, is not the flex cable problem, because the hd is running normally.

At this point I would try replacing the cable as the most likely and least costly part. On general principles try resetting the PRAM and SMC--link provided. If these don't work get back to us.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009 Hard Drive Cable Replacement

Glad you could understand the question because I can't.

Yes, Rj is correct. I would replace the flex cable. +

I'm having the same problem. If I leave it alone on the table it works fine but when I lightly move my laptop around, the beach ball will spin continuously causing me to restart my laptop with the flashing question mark. What I did next was I opened my laptop up and played around with the flex cable and tried to restart it again. The laptop works after I dissected it but goes back to the beach ball spinning/flashing question mark if I shift it (i.e. leaving for school and putting the laptop in my backpack and opening it up again in class).

What I don't understand is that I had the flex cable replaced a few months back through Apple because I was having this same problem back then and now my hard drive is acting up again. I'm not under warranty anymore so what should I do? I know it has to be the loose connection between the HD and logicboard but I am lost. I'm using the broken laptop right now but it will probably act up again if I shift it around.

Note: I've never done any major damage to my laptop nor dropped it.

Laptops are designed to be moved and moving yours should not be causing this problem. All I can suggest at this point is to remove the cable and clean the ends with an eraser. Clean the sockets with a toothbrush and contact cleaner-(make sure the power is off and the battery removed first). Then reinstall the cable and make sure of firm contact at the connections. Good luck.

Marco will be eternally grateful.