Released on September 19, 2014, this 5.5" screen iPhone is the larger version of the iPhone 6.

Touchscreen randomly becomes unresponsive

bought an iPhone 6 Plus on eBay. It's in perfect condition and I think I got a bargain. It has an issue though, which was why it was sold as not working: the touchscreen randomly becomes unresponsive and the phone needs a reset to make it start working again.

It seems to do it particularly if left untouched for a while.

I did a restore in DFU mode and it's still doing it.

It's 16 months old so out of warranty with Apple.

I booked an appointment with a genius tomorrow, but I believe that they won't fix that for free, even if I read on their forum lots of people complain about this issue especially after upgrading to iOS 9.

Also, worth mentioning that I checked the serial number of this iPhone and it qualifies for the Apple free iSight camera replacement program for the Iphone 6 Plus (rear camera producing blurry images).

Does it sound like a software issue or a hardware one? Thanks in advance for any replies.

No, screen looks fine. No lines or anything like that. Phone has no dents and is cosmetically in mint condition.

Pretty sure touchscreen stops working only after the phone has gone in standby for a while. If I am using it, it works fine so I don't understand how it can be a hardware issue.

Ah I have noticed that if I keep tapping while the screen is unresponsive, the tap on the screen will sometimes register but the only thing that works is a reset and sometimes I have to reset twice in a row for the touchscreen to become responsive again.

My iPhone doesn't display a grey bar though. Also, yesterday it became unresponsive, I kept tapping the camera icon, the touch input finally registered and that unfroze the touchscreen without even a reset.

I'm starting to think it's just a faulty digitizer.

oh my god i have the exact issue, plus the flickering grey line. i read that article in the most helpful answer that said that apple employees just twist the phones and stuff and it works. so i think "well im stronger than those scrawny little guys so i can do that". i twist it, hear tiny little movement noises, and boom it works, at least temporarily until i see it again.

I repair phone and noticed that 90% of 6 Plus iPhones do not respond after screen change. I have even had them replaced at the Apple Store and they mostley fail to respond to touch. I believe that the driver for the digitizer shorts out if the screen is not changed imediatly after breaking. Apple should really recall all od the 6 Plus iPhones that have this issue as they are all mosly defective beyound reason. There is a lot of bad information on this thread and I hope this info is good

Most Helpful Answer

This is touch ic disease, 100%. I wrote a blog post about this recently that explains the underlying design flaw in the iPhone 6+ that leads to this issue. The only solution is to have the touch ics replaced on the board by a microsolderer.

http://www.mendonipadrehab.com/entries/g...

Yes I fixed my iphone 6+, they replace both touch IC 2401 and 2402, 1 month ago still works good. http://www.ilovephone.us/product/iphone-...

Hey guys, it's definitely Touch IC. You can verify this with a simple internet search for "Touch Disease". You'll find a lawsuit as well as petitions setup get Apple to take responsibility for this problem. You can voice yourself more and spread that word at:

change.org/p/apple-apple-touch-disease-response-demand

Took it to the Apple Store today. They replaced the camera for free in store since the iPhone qualified for the free iSight camera replacement program.

Since they opened it for the repair, touchscreen has been perfect (don't want to talk too soon though). It would become unresponsive as soon as the phone went in standby for a few minutes, but I left the phone untouched for a couple of hours and when I went to wake the phone up, touchscreen was responsive as it should. Even when I was taking it home and leaving it unused for a while, it was working fine.

Maybe it was just a matter of reseating the screen connectors.

The problem of no touch and flickering grey line at the top of the screen is a rampant problem that happens to the six plus. The cumulus chip has an oxidized connection on one or more of the pins and needs to be replaced. I have had four of them now and they all eventually developed this problem. I may learn to do Microsoft micro soldering and go into business fixing them . I think Apple should recall all of them as this is a rampant problem that continues.

I don't have a solution but at minimum I feel better learning this is nothing I did to my phone. I had the same issue 6 months ago with a phone 5 days out of warranty. Thankfully, Apple replaced it anyway. Now the replacement phone is having the same issue. Unfortunately, this time will take getting a new phone since Apple does not extend warranty on "new replacements".

My phone was plugged in for about 20 minutes while I took a nap. My little sister came in the room and looked at my phone, noticing thr screen was black with a light tint to show that the screen wasn't off. She woke me and told me to check my phone because it didn't look right. I tried to turn my phone on but it wasn't responsive. It's an iPhone 6 and it's in very good condition, I've actually only had it for 3 months. I performed a hard reset but it kept my screen black after the apple logo glitched a few times. Finally after about an hour and a half, it turned back on. But the screen is now unresponsive. What should I do?

iPhone 6+. Screen intermittently unresponsive. Ultra-annoying. Cleaned and rebooted--nothing worked. Turned off all 3 Touch ID (unlock, pay, itunes). Works fine!!! Playing around with turning each one back on individually. Seems like turning them off and cleaning the touch button helped. 10 minutes of use with all 3 back on seems to work. Another site suggests turning off hey siri as fyi. Thanks for the tip.

This look touch ic disease and in 6plus this happen usually and need to soldering and replaced the touch IC chips for the logic board.

Well if you did a complete restore, that would indicate that the problem isn't software. The next time it freezes on you, instead of resetting it, place your right hand on the top of your phone and your left on the bottom. With the screen facing upward, gently twist your right hand clock wise and your left counter clock wise, no more than 3 millimeters in either direction. Remember I said GENTLY. If the screen starts working after that gentle twist, you have touch disease and it is definitely hardware. Either find a shop that repairs that problem in your area, or take it to Apple.

I faced the same problem - iPhone not responsive to touch. I've tried hard re-set and a few other ways without success until I removed the Screen Protector I've installed when I first bought the phone. now the touch response is as good as a brand NEW phone.

screen protectors DO inhibit some touch sensitivity, but that is different from the flickering grey bars and complete unresponsiveness of touch disease.

Base on my understanding the issue of your phone is maybe you screwed the phone wrong remember iphone consist of different screw sizes so that may be a factor another factor is maybe your lcd is bad or you put the lcd bad :)

No. It is a well described classic failure of the M1 pad controlling the bsync line under the meson touch controller chip. Strengthen the underlying trace, add a new chip and permanently solved.

Hi. Had the same issue as most of you above; however, in my case it turned out to be a swollen battery. It was not visible but it was swollen as stated by Apple employee. A replacement phone cost me 80 bucks.

Ha! That's hilarious. Definitely not a swollen battery--that is pretty rare on a 6+, in fact I've never seen it. However, I did send my husband down to the Apple Store when his in warranty 6+ developed classic touch disease. I had opened the phone and verified it personally, they tried the "swollen battery" BS with him as well. (BTW--my team discovered touch disease and have fixed more cases of it than any private group in the world. The geniuses at the Apple Store would not even be able to point to the touch controller chips on the logic board.)

This issue sounds like a match for the Paid REP from Apple. You'll pay the cost of a display replacement, but they'll replace the entire phone, as this is an issue with a component on the logic board. I don't know how much time and money you'd end up spending if you tried to repair this yourself, but in the US, the cost of replacing an iPhone 6 plus screen is about $150 through Apple.

My iPhone 6 Plus screen becomes unresponsive to touches within a minute of turning screen on. Quick fix for the situation is to switch screen off and on again, but then within a minute it becomes unresponsive again to touches. No gray lines, just lots of annoying screen off, screen on cycles.

yes--classic presentation.

No this issue seems to an sofware issue of iOS8.1

There are some fixes explained at this site, (click here)

Touch disease couldn't be more of a classic hardware fault. It is definitely not software. This is the single most well described problem in any iPhone.

ANYONE HAVING TOUCH DISEASE ISSUES....

Its FREE TO FIX.

REMOVE THE SCREEN, and the metal plate over the connectors.

Remove the connectors.

CHECK THE LOGIC BOARD SIDE FOR DUST IN THE CONNECTORS! Use a THIN BLADE TO REMOVE ANY PARTICLES.

TOTALLY FIXED MY IPHONE6 plus' erratic behavior. 100%

yeah--it'll be back. There has never been a fault as classic as touch disease for iPhone 6+ in any other device. The problem is like a string of christmas lights that sometimes works until someone walks by the tree. A tiny trace in the motherboard serving the M1 pad under the meson chip just doesn't make good contact when the phone is subject to normal flexion from daily use. It can be solved though.

Burnt Toast will be eternally grateful.