Lenovo Thinkpad X220 portable computer (LAPTOP) for business and communication. The Thinkpad X220 was released in April 2011 to succeed to the Thinkpad X201. Main improvements are : 1366x768 IPS screen available, 2nd generation Intel Core CPUs, new Trackpoint, new Ultrabase, SATA III

Why does my fan make a high pitched noise?

My computer is making a high pitched noise when running and when in sleep mode. How do I fix this?

The high pitched noise may be due to your fans needing to be cleaned, try blowing air forwards and backwards through the fan. Another option is to shut your computer off and let it cool down. If noise continues you may need to take the computer apart to do more cleaning of the fans.

Most Helpful Answer

You can start by cleaning the fan first by blowing air through it forward and backward . If this doesnt help then take the laptop apart and do a more through cleaning of the fan put a touch or lithium grease in the bearing . If this doesn't help you will need to replace the fan

Make sure of exactly where the noise is coming from before you spend any money. It could also be the hard drive. See this video: https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/videos/...

Emily Heffernan will be eternally grateful.