The PlayStation 3 (or commonly known as the PS3) is the third home computer entertainment system produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, and the successor to the PlayStation 2. It was released November 11, 2006

Stopped taking disks into itself. How can I repair?

I received a PS3 that was not reading disks and followed the instructions that I found on youtube.com to dismantle it, but my model seemed a little different, after putting it back together it would not take disks, it won't even pull them in. What might I have missed?

There is a magnet inside that is out of place

If the disc drive isn't even spinning or taking discs, that could be something very simple, or something very serious.

The simple thing it could be would be a disconnected cable. You might want to disassemble your device again and make sure the power and data cables to the optical drive are properly seated and connected.

On to the serious possibility. If you weren't careful with your workspace and tools, you may have shorted out a component in the disc drive. If a circuit on the drive's PCB is shorted, it is very difficult to determine where the short occurred, and repairing it is nearly impossible.

Check the connections for the cables and let us know how that goes.

I just started work on the PS3 again, I had tried the connections they seem fine. The problem is not that it is not spinning, it is not even taking the disks into the drive and this is not the model with motion detection, it has a little white arm that the disk hits to activate. I can't find a version of this 40g model on any site.

As I also stated in my answer, you very well may have shorted out something on one of the boards. Try finding a known working disc drive for the same model and see if it works. If so, then the other drive is likely toast.

I will have to look into it. I am more interested in getting the hard drive back at the moment. But that is on another question. I think you may be right about the drive, I am going to take it out and see it what I can do after I get the OS back onto the hard drive.

gatewaynomad let me know if you need a repair manual I might be in a place to help you out.

I have had this happen in the past. If the drive is not lined up perfect when being put back together, it will be misaligned and wont accept disks in. When it didn't accept them in, it would click and cluck trying to take the disk in but since it was out of alignment it never goes in.

One good question is.... did it accept disks before you took it apart. If it did, then it should be a simple fix. If not, then it could be a previous person working on it, or the drive's circuitry is messed up.

One fix is to take the drive apart and try to get everything lined up and happy again. It takes a few times to get it right, but you should be able to look at photos or videos of opened drives to see where everything should be.

Worst case is to replace the drive even though I'm pretty sure it isn't bad.

Good luck, and let us know if you get it working.

+ From what he said it was taking discs before, just not reading them. Making sure everything is lined out sounds good to me, though.

I have same problem after fixing ylod shouldn't it still take the disk in before putting the top back on with everything loose?

mine worked perfectly up until today it will not accept disks what should I do?

Heey guyz i need help and mine wount automatically take disk in and if i open and put it inside then it doesnt read it. Looked at all the tututorials on youtube but none of them shows how to fix the ps3 slim that wount accept cd automatically. Please i need help

Hi guys,i know this thread is old, but i took the top off my 80gig PS3 .Armed with a fine paintbrush and vacuum cleaner i only cleaned the dust out.Now when i want to insert a disc (when usually it recognises that u are putting a disc in and it "takes it from you" and loads),there is no beep or anything,its just dead and wont pull the disc in.If i push the eject button,it makes the beep noises but thats it.I have checked the two small plates at the front which make contact with the metal tabs from the power and eject buttons,i bent it slightly upward to make sure it makes contact,but still nothing.Are there any "cheats" i could try by pushing and holding buttons etc?

I read a bunch of people suggestions with no success. however, i found the solution for my ps3!

symptoms: 1) when unit first powered up it sounds like it's trying to elect disk. 2) disk can be inserted upon power up, but not any time after that.

problem: the metal shield on the top of the disk drive was very slightly indented where the foam tape seals to the top lid. this was rubbing the internal plastic arms and not allowing them to return to the fully ejected state.

fix: removed the metal shield, slightly bent outward, and reattached

now it works perfectly!

gatewaynomad will be eternally grateful.