Repair guides and support for the external iSight webcam by Apple released in 2003.

Can this be upgraded?

I recently found that I own this piece of equipment and its a fine piece that was crafted really well. I want to continue using it, but I do not want to be limited to the crappy resolution given by this camera. I wanted to know if it was possible to open this bad boy up and reconfigure it with better parts to increase its resolution and make it into a camera that fits up to modern day standards. If it is possible are there any guides out there to show me how and a buy list of products that work? Thanks for your time and consideration.

Not an answer but wanted to kick in on discussion. Interesting issue.

I've got three of these and use them on my Mac Pros but I've never torn one down. The newer iMac cameras are much better. MacTech + @mactechplus has used pulled cameras to make USB ones. (I'll forward this question to him so he'll see it) But the camera is in the center. Maybe @oldturkey03 can tell if it would be possible change from the Firewire 400 to USB power. Also I have to use an adapter to change it from Firewire 400 to 800 as the ports disappeared after about 2008.

Can I upgrade the isight camera to an new FaceTime HD Camera?

Thanks for coming into the discussion. I personally just love re-purposing items when they can be used and the design is amazing. It would be such a shame to discard it to the side without finding out if it could be upgraded. Thank you for dropping a message and linking others who can contribute to the conversation.

I've also had to use an adapter to get the camera to work with newer models. The camera itself is just fantastic. Just to be clear in the link you provided you stripped two cameras and made them USB compatible? Is there a guide to that. Would love to look into it. I do have a few computers sitting around that I may just tear apart for good. Too much damage on them and some pieces are still in mint working condition.

Devon Moscoso will be eternally grateful.