iMac g4 - no sound
I got used imac g4 from craigslist - it was reset to start but I have no sound. Help
Is this a good question?
1. Hold down the power button on the iMac for 10 seconds until you hear a long beep and the led on the front of the display flashes rapidly. (This is a PMU Reset) If you can hear the beep, continue to step 2. If not, read 1a.
1a. Open up the iMac and replace the internal speaker. If you don't feel like doing this, you can always plug in a set of external speakers in the 3.5mm headphone jack.
2. Check if you can hear audio now. If not, go to System Preferences, make sure that the audio is set to "Internal Speaker." If it is already set to this continue to step 3.
3. Examine the back ports of the iMac G4. Is there a pin stuck in the Apple Pro Speaker jack or headphone jack. This might be causing the problem. Or, if there is a red light, insert the cap of a Bic pen into the jack and twist it around to disable the optical audio. If you still cannot hear any sound, continue to step 4.
4. Try a PRAM Reset. Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down option-apple-P-R keys at the same time until you hear the startup chime twice (if you can at all) or you hear your system powering on the hard drive for the second time. Now you can release. Can you get audio now? If not, continue to step 5.
5. Repair Disk Permissions. Go to Disk Utility, click on your internal HD, and click "Repair Disk Permissions." Wait till its done. Is there audio now?
6. Reinstall OSX. Boot from your Install CD, and do a fresh install. Yes, wipe the whole drive before installing. If audio still doesn't work after step 6, I am out of answers. Sorry!
If this answer has helped you, please mark this response as "answered" or vote it up. Thanks! '''
Was this answer helpful?
Past 24 Hours: 1
Past 7 Days: 3
Past 30 Days: 16
All Time: 2,225