The larger of Apple's MacBook Air laptops featuring dual microphones and 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity.

Will this new Samsung M.2 SSD work?

Samsung just released (October 2015) a new M.2 SSD:

SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P512BW

It has the most incredible specs and is still affordable. This would be an awesome upgrade for my MBA. But might/will it be compatible?

Here is the 3rd party SSD you'll need: OWC - MacBook Air 11" & 13" Mid 2013, 2014, and 2015

Apple uses their own custom SSD blade design. A regular M.2 SSD blade won't work here (just won't fit). Sadly, the M.2 standard is just too loose. Technically the Apple SSD blade is either a PCIe 2 or 4 lane design (depending on the model) or in the case of the older models a modified SATA interface. They all use custom Apple firmware. So from the specs you would think the Samsung 950 Pro would work and Samsung does make the OEM unit for Apple which is a modified version of the 950 Pro design in the latest version of MacBook Pro's & Airs.

11/20/2015 by Dan

I couldn't have said it better Mayer ;-}

would this ssd work in the older A1369, form 2010-11?

if not are there any 3rd party ones that do?

will it (or another) work well with an adapter?

if so, what adapter?

THANKS!

OWC offers a different SSD for the older MacBook Air's: OWC SSD OWC - MacBook Air 11" & 13" 2010 - 2011

can you tell me if Samsung 960 PRO NVMe M.2 2TB will work on Macbook pro retina 15 late 2013??

there is a connector adapter which will arrange the mechanical part of the issue, however I don´t know if the latest 950pro will work as it is not yet on the compatibility list

http://eshop.sintech.cn/ngff-m2-pcie-ssd...

Has anyone found any evidence that this adapter will work with typical m.2 SSDs?

The 950 is a four lane unit so it won't work in the older two lane systems. You'll see the interface pin out is different.

no,950 can't work, it is nVME version,you must use ACHI version SSD,such as XP941 .

I buy this adaptor and badly is NOT compatible with 950 / 960 evo pro series

It does work! All you need is High Siera, it support NVMe out of the box :)

Work only with AHCI SSD Samsung SM951 + ES_SHOP adapter

Don't work now with Samsung 950/960 Series.

how to install see this video (russian)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWvxZ0S...

NVMe works out of the box in High Siera, all you need is:

bootable High Siera usb

adapter:

Score -1

Hi Filip,

Are you sure about that? If I buy the adapter and SSD Samsung 1TB 960 EVO NVMe M.2 Internal SSD model: AMZV6E1T0BW I will be able to boot up with High Sierra? I have a MacBook Air 2013 A1466

Thanks,

Sorry Filip is not correct here. M.2 covers a group of different interfaces so you need to make sure you get the correct drive for the given system based on what the system is expecting. In this case the MacBook Air uses a custom PCIe 2.0 (2 lane) PHY interface with a AHCI drive interface. You can't use the newer PCIe 3.0 drive as then you would need a NVMe drive interface.

I strongly recommend sticking with either Apples SSD or either OWC or Transcend 3rd party SSD's which are designed to work in your system Vs using these M.2 adapters. Our testing a year ago showed they just didn't cut it.

Hi Felipe,

I've only tested my Macbook Pro mid 2014, it works like charm if you use High Sierra usb for install, i'm not sure if Air will work, but if it's NVMe it should work. :)

EDPR will be eternally grateful.