USB device not recognized (on most computers)

When I plug my iPod into the USB port of my computer it is not recognized by Windows. It doesn't appear as a drive and I can't access any of the data on it. I have tried this on 2 home computers and my work computer.

However, it does appear as a drive on a colleagues computer.

The iPod charges when it is plugged in but I'd like to be able to sync it with iTunes to change the tracks which are on it.

Most Helpful Answer

Have you tried plugging it into a Mac? I have a SanDisk Cruzer flash drive that similarly refuses to mount on one Windows desktop, whereas it works perfectly on another PC.

i tried... it still failed

Apple offer a stand alone repair tool which will fix this problem when iTunes built in tool fails to do the job.

What is the software called please as Apple have been less than helpful - Apple blames Windows and Microshaft blame iTunes

Tony,

Please can you tell me what the software is called or where to download it? I don't mind losing the contents of the iPod (all the songs are in iTunes anyway) But if the computer fails to recognize the device I'm not sure how the software would work.

For the 2nd Generation Shuffle:

1. Plug Shuffle into docking station.

2. Wrap 2 rubber bands as many times as you possibly can around the Shuffle and docking station on the side that has the docking post that inserts into the Shuffle.

3. Plug USB into computer.

Solved.

Learn the lesson I have learned. Never, ever, ever buy any more crap from Apple. It always fails. There are always 1000s of people with the same problem. Apple are never interested in fixing it, only selling you the next piece of Apple crap.

Right click on the iTunes icon on your computer, go to properties and click on compatibility and put in window 7. It doesn't seem to recognize or charge the battery on the iPod scuffle after Windows 7.

how can i solve this problem

Greg will be eternally grateful.