Why do I have a black screen?

While I was using my iphone 5 i randomly got a black screen. I can't reset it because my lock button doesn't work. is there anyway i could fix it without replacing the battery?

That is a pickle. I dunno why you're so concerned about the battery. I would replace the lock/power button. Then either do a force restart or put it into dfu mode. Who knows. Maybe even disconnecting and then reconnecting the battery might even do the trick

iPhone 5 Replacement Battery

iPhone 5 Audio Control and Power Button Cable

How to Force Restart an iPhone 5

iPhone 5 Replacement Battery Image
iPhone 5 Audio Control and Power Button Cable Image

I don't think so without disconnecting/reconnecting the battery, but if you're going to get as far as taking the screen up, you might as well go the whole way and replace your lock button/volume button/mute switch flex cable. It's not too hard

Brytney will be eternally grateful.