How to diagnose? iPhone 5s became a total brick

Don't know for sure what happened, but I have an iPhone 5s that is not reacting on normal reset (Home+Power) and not showing any signs of life.

The screen is blank all the time. I left it plugged-in to charging adapter and afterwards to Mac Air for at least 8 hours, but nothing happened. The body of the phone looks ok.

Any ideas how to diagnose?

Well.. If the buttons aren't doing anything, maybe this won't help.. But you could try a force restart

How to Force Restart an iPhone 5

Fe U, check to make sure that your cable works. If it does, replace the battery and see if it starts with a new battery. If it does, replace the lightning connector and re-evaluate your charging situation.

Fe U will be eternally grateful.