The March 2015 update of Apple's 13" MacBook Pro Retina Display, model A1502, features fifth-generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors and introduces the Force Touch trackpad.

MacBook Pro turns off after a couple of seconds

Hi!

I've got an early 2015 13" MacBook Pro. Absolutely no water damage, drops etc

A couple of days ago it started turning itself off within a couple of seconds of me turning it on. This problem seems to be quite widespread but I could not find a solution to the problem anywhere.

TL;DR

Mac turns off within seconds(3-6). If any key is pressed and held the computer acts normally. Key can be released for a couple of seconds - afterwards any other key has to be pressed and held or the computer acts as if the power button was pressed for a couple of seconds and shuts down.

Longer, rambling version:

After troubleshooting it for what seems like years I've found out that:

-If I press and hold ANY button immediately after pressing the power button the computer doesn't turn itself off - it let's me log in etc

-If I let go of the button I was holding BEFORE I'm logged in the computer turns itself off as If I pressed the power button for a couple of seconds

-If I let go of the button I was holding AFTER I'm logged in I get the standard prompt -"Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" If I press and hold any button again, I can just click Cancel and the computer doesn't switch off

-I can let go of the button I'm holding and substitute it for an different button

-Funnily enough if I press and hold the power button at start-up I can use the computer normally. If I try to press and hold it later it turns my computer off as it should.

So yeah, that's what I've found - hopefully it will help someone with the same problem.

Any ideas as to what I could try? The laptop is still under warranty so if I fail to resolve the issue by Monday I'm having it repaired but I would really prefer not to lose my workplace for 3-5 working days.

Hi. I am experiencing the same problem (exactly the same). Did you manage to find the solution?

Sorry, had it repaired under warranty. Is the keyboard behaviour the same? Does the right shift key act strangely? (one of the little things not mentioned in the original post)

Most Helpful Answer

Sounds like a stuck key on the keyboard. There could be a few possible causes here.

If you have a USB or Bluetooth keyboard you could try using it. In this test setup you're going to pop the bottom cover and carefully disconnect the keyboard ribbon cable then using the power pads startup the system with the external keyboard plugged in or linked via Bluetooth. Does it start up OK that way? If it does you've isolated the problem down to the keyboard.

The next step is to see if the battery is blistering causing it to push up on the keyboard. Carefully loosen the battery screws, reconnect the keyboard is this now working better?

The last possibly here is did you spill something into the keyboard? You may end up needing to pull the upper case off and the keyboard - Big job!

It's coved under warranty.

Dan - sincerest thanks for your answer. The laptop is covered under warranty so I really did not want to open it. External keyboards did not word as the built in one had higher priority, especially the power button.

mayer - I know it is covered under warranty, I even stated so in the original post. You are like those people who answer "just google it" when someone asks a question that has been answered ANYWHERE before. I wrote about my process of getting the laptop in a somewhat working order hoping it helps someone else, and that someone provides an obvious (software) answer I had missed that would allow me to not wipe my laptop and part with it for 5-7 working days.

In the end I ended up having it repaired under warranty. I learned a bit more about the problem but everything points to a hardware defect.

I am having this exact problem on a 2012 15" MacBook unibody. I took it to the Apple Store and they thought it was a defective keyboard and offered to replace the top case for a little over $200. I decided to just replace the keyboard myself with one from eBay, but didn't fix the issue, still the same as before.

Seb will be eternally grateful.