How to recover data from a damaged hard drive

Hi there,

I have a damaged 60gb ide drive that I'm trying to recover data from. Ideally I would want some software that could clone the current drive and copy it onto a new drive which is bigger than the old one. A program that I could run from windows would also be excellent.

Many thanks,

Joel Spencer

Thanks all.

For cloning windows hard drives I currently use Acronis True Image 2010 but this does not support the relevant file format (as far as I know).

What commercial software have you found, as I can probably get a copy through work.

Joel

A free program to clone Mac drives is Carbon Copy Cloner. I use it frequently. I am including a link for obtaining the software. I have been searching for a similar program for Windows but can only find commercial software at this time. If your need is for Windows software try Norton Ghost. Windows will not read Mac software. Good luck. Ralph

http://bombich.com/

http://www.symantec.com/themes/ghost/ind...

+ SuperDuper will also work well and is free: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/superduper/s...

Prosoft Drive Genius 3 is what I use (check the App store for a limited version) or go to their web site to get a trial version (limited functions) a full version is the best way to go.

Most Helpful Answer

The first thing you need to do is going to try your external drive on different computer to see if the drive can be read by them. If yes, back up the files you store on your external drive to the computer first. If not, you need to take your external drive to fix at once.

Maybe you will ask if you fix the external drive, will the files are gone forever? Yes, they will be gone, but not forever. Actually, after fixing the external drive, the files seem to be deleted, but in fact, the operating only delete the catalog and the space of these files so that there is enough space for you to store new files.At this moment, you still have chance to get your files back.

But if you put any new files into the external drive, the new files will occupy the space of the"deleted files", this is the so-called data overwritten situation.Once this happens, you may lose the chance to get the files back.

Hi Joel,

Install the hard drive into a computer as a slave.Then copy your files.

If it shows up in 'my computer' as a drive letter(like E: drive) but you can't access it,you can recover data on it with data recovery program to avoid losing your data.I have succeed with Tenorshare data recovery. It can recover data after deeply scanning your hard drive to look for lost data due to drives crash, physical damage etc.You can get it here. After you recover your data,you can format it to check out whether it can be fixed.

If the hard drive can't be detected,you can try this way.Put it in a zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer for overnight. Then while it's still cold plug it into the computer and you may be able to view it in 'my computer'. And run the recovery program to recover your data on it.

If it fails, you will have to go to a recovery office where supply data recovery service but let's hope not because it will cost you a lot of money and whether they can recover data is not guaranteed.

Mac's running Windows (any kind) is always tricky, as you could run windows natively (reformat the HD and run Windows directly, no Mac OS-X at all) In truth this is rarely done as its a bit of a work getting everything to work correctly (Mac device drivers). Most of the time people use BootCamp or some other emulator software on top of OS-X. So any Windows App that expects FAT32 or NTFS files systems to clone or image directly from won't work here. Most Mac apps that clone or image will work but may not like the file types when it tries to check them (check the apps settings or a newer release).

If you have access to another Mac to put the HD into or in an external case this is a good way to salvage any readable files. This won't work if you have a Windows system (unless you have the needed file system driver for Mac HFS or HFSJ)

You can use UFUSoft Data Recovery, which can retrieves your lost videos, photos, music, documents, emails, etc. from your PC’s hard drive as well as from USB drives, external hard drives, mobile phones, digital cameras, iPods, MP3/MP4 players, and other storage media. Four unique recovery options guarantee to find everything you’re missing quickly and easily.

As per your question, you have already a damaged hard drive. So, as per my recommendation, it would be useless to clone this damaged hard drive data and store it on external drive. Also, if you have some very important files stored on this damaged hard drive, then you need to try a Windows data recovery software to Recovers all your data.

Imp. Note: If you already have data backup available, then simply restore it without spending money on buying a data recovery program.

If a file has actually been "overwritten" and not just "deleted" then no your photos are toast. Had they been deleted you may of had a chance. However you might want to attempt to use a program such as Tenorshare Data Recovery and try and recover your pictures. I doubt it will find anything that is actually recoverable but it never hurts to try.

Further info:

There are many data recovery tool available in Market, which helps you to recover deleted data. This is the reason I always recommend Mac users to check their hard drive health on regular basis by using Disk Utility.

The most popular computer data recovery software is minitool power data recovery. which provides full functionality for people attempting to recover data from computers.

You can try MiniTool partition wizard ,MiniTool Partition Wizard is a Windows based PC and Server partition manager software. Our server partition software supports both MBR and GUID partition table (GPT) on 32/64 bits Operating System including Windows XP, Vista, Windows Server 2000/2003/2008/2008-R2/2012, Windows SBS, Windows 7 and Windows 8.

Physical failures occur when parts contained within the hard drive no longer function properly. This may be the result of heavy duty usage, perhaps a fault in a component used, or because of an outside force at work such as a knock or bump. We can all be prone to accidents and accidents happen around computers. Drinks are spilled, unforeseen knocks can occur, and even just leaving a computer switched on for overly long periods of time may lead to a hard drives premature demise.We all know that hard disk drives may fail for a variety of reasons and may fail if there are bad sectors on them. Sometimes these bad sectors can be found on partitions of the drive that allow the operating system to start up and run. If these bad sectors occur throughout the partition where the operating system is stored then it might well be the case that the operating system cannot cope and therefore freezes.

It looks like your only route is professional data recovery like uFlysoft:

Step 1. Launch the software to scan the device where your files deleted

Step 2: Preview the scan result files and make mark if it is the one you find

Step 3: Recover files

As per your question, you have already a damaged hard drive. So, as per my recommendation, it would be useless to clone this damaged hard drive data and store it on external drive.

Also, if you have some very important files stored on this damaged hard drive, then you need to try a Windows data recovery software to Recovers all your data.

Use SysInfotools Windows data recovery software and restore all the data in original state. software is smart enough to detect and recover all types of file format like images, videos, office documents etc. You may try its free version and restore unlimted data files from internal or external hard drives.

http://bit.ly/2q27NCu

Joel Spencer

Here is some tips about your queries:

You want to clone the bad drive? Sounds OK but why dont you go for a data recovery program that can image your bad hard drive? Then you can use the same image for scan, preview & recover all your data from it. Try http://www.stellarinfo.com/mac-data-reco....

You want a tool that runs on Windows for Mac?:This program runs from windows & scan a Mac hard drive. http://www.stellarinfo.com/mac-data-reco...

Go for the free trial version.

Score -1

Accidentally corrupt, damaged data from hard drive, due to several reason such as disk partition errors, virus attacks, by chance system shutdown and etc. I refer and advance or safe or secure software, you can use Kernel for Mac Data Recovery Tool. This software efficient to recover and repair all data. Reference link : http://www.softwaredatarecovery.net/macr...

To Know more about this software : http://macintoshdatarecoverysoftware.blo...

Score -1

Joel Spencer will be eternally grateful.