1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz) with 3MB shared L3 cache

A flashing question mark in a folder

When I turn on my Mac book on the screen it has a flashing question mark inside a folder and it won't let me do anything

my macbook air a1245 no os run folder blink problem

MacBook Battery Fix Kits
Fix Kits Starting at $69.99
MacBook Battery Fix Kits
Starting at $69.99

Rach, the folder with the question mark means the computer cannot find the startup system. This could happens because files that are needed to boot the computer are damaged, or the drive's directory is damaged. This can also happen when your computer has a dead drive.Try rebooting your computer while holding the Command R key. This will attempt to restart the computer using the Recovery partition. If it works, you'll know that your drive isn't dead. Use Disk Utility to repair the main partition. If it then download and install the operating system. If you can't reboot with the Command R key try using Command Option R which is an Internet recovery. If the drive's partition table were damaged but the drive itself is okay, you'll be able to use the Disk Utility program to create a new parition, install the OS, and then restore from your Backup. You can find plenty of information about this on here and here as well

the hard drive is new when I try to install the o s via external disc drive it wont load .Im probably doing something wrong........... I need help!!

I did everything where I ended up in the Disk Utility but my SSD is not reading at all. I just see the the recovery disk that only has 2GB but no sign of the Macintosh HD. Help please?!

try disabling the hot corners. good luck!

Thanks for the help here. This helped me get my MacBook Air back on the road again. Handy little page! Again, thanks - TH

I have the same problem. I got the computer to start the internet back up process. It recognizes my keyboard and I'm able to move my selection to try to begin the air drive back up. However, The enter button will not start the process and the computer doesn't recognize a mouse (tried 2) and the cursor is in the upper left by the apple symbol. Any suggestions? Thanks

Shane

I need urgent help. My Imac is doing the same thing? I really need help. I have pressed cmd +R and it just does nothing but a flashing folder. I have just got this and was trying to rove a password locked to the computer and I had the same problem. When it asked me to update the IOS it said it didn't recognize it and restarted. When it did that was it i just have a flashing folder with a question mark. Ugh this is so frustrating ????

Mine did the exact same thing, it asked me to update my IOS and the starting flashing with the question mark folder... Mac products are so dodgy... I’m so sick of Mac products just dying... did you get it fixed?

Same to me it’s just showing a lock

IOS on an Imac ??

I had the same problem. And after trying almost everything I finally find the solution, very simple by the way.

By turning off the computer and removing one of the memory ram card, turn on again and it will go straight like nothing, do your settings and turn off again and add again the removed ram.

Good luck

Worked for me cheers

in the case when checking the drive by using or booting from a recovery partition, or using the disk utility dont fix the problem, then it can be that the HDD is not properly connected, so check the data cables and make sure the HDD is properly installed. If you have done all this before and the problem continues, it could be that you have a dead drive, and you have to replace it!

How can you get around the command+r key when I don’t have an apple keyboard?

Use the Windows key, next to the Alt key.

Literally replace the hard drive cable. Take off the back the MacBook, remove the HDD, remove the cable from the logic board and any screw that are holding it down. Check serial number on it. Order one from amazon, prime it so you get it the day after and just put it back together the same way it came out.

FIX

I had this problem upwards of 7 or 8 times, and I fixed it by replacing the defective cable. The more times I did this, the shorter the fix held for. I have now found a workaround by using a hard drive caddy. They are available of amazon for less than £10. You remove the optical drive (for CD/DVDs) and put the caddy in its place. The hard drive is then connected to the computer via different route, bypassing the defective data cable. It does mean you no longer have an optical drive, but that's a small price to pay to have a functional computer!

Caddy: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...

I bought an early 2011 13 inch macbook pro from a pawn shop about 6 months ago.

As soon as I turned it on and tried loading programs like Safari or iTunes, the computer would pinwheel.

After thinking for five or ten minutes the program would load. When searching the internet, the same thing would happen. Click a link and pinwheel, five or ten minutes, page would load.

Trouble shooting the issue online, a common theme was a dying hard drive.

I purchased a brand new 250 GB SSD.

I've partitioned it and formatted it to mac. When I connect it internally to the macbook, and power on the computer, grey file folder with question mark.

Trouble shooting that issue online, a common theme was replace the hard drive cable.

I replaced the hard drive cable.

You guessed it, grey file folder with question mark. I just want to get the computer up and running.

HELP?

Try booting off an OS CD !

It just means it's overheated. Shut it down then turn it back on when the computer cools down.

Score -1

I wasin deisk utility settings and i cant install os x lion it keeps saying that the item is unavailable.. And i dont have choices of disk everytime i try to click the start up where you have to choose diak but nothing came off .. The click just say restart .. After i restart my macbook just start flashing folder with question mark.. What to do?? MMy boboyfriend doesnt know what i did.. Im sure he ll get mad..

restart your mac. When turning on hold down command+r this should put it in internet recovery mode. When is finishes click install mac os x or whatever type of mac you have,its probably the second choice. This will delete everything in your mac,all of your data. It would be brand new and will make you start over but it is the only way to fix it.

Hey Kim! Thank you! Letting my Macbook cool worked for me!

It has not had time to overheat.

I'd tried to boot into recovery using CMD+R but it instead takes me to the internet recovery and I'm unable to access the disk utility. It had this problem last week but it got back to normal by itself, now it's just stuck there, what do I do please?

Rach will be eternally grateful.