Home of all Mac desktops made in the '80s and '90s.

Transfer data from old SCSI hard drive

I pulled a SCSI hard drive from a dead Macintosh II desktop computer and would like to transfer the data to another more modern computer. Since I only want to do this one time I need an inexpensive solution to adapt the SCSI hard drive to either USB or Firewire. I could also hook up to an old PowerBook G3 to perform the transfer.

Most Helpful Answer

Use a SCSI to USB adapter. Here's a link on how to do it:

http://www.topbits.com/how-to-connect-sc...

Nice find + Ralph

If you have a PowerBook with SCSI (pre firewire) and you can get the drive to work with that (probably OS 9 only) then you should be able to copy the contents to the PowerBook, then to a more modern format. It's probably only a couple of megabytes anyway. You are also facing the problem "what am I going to use to open these ancient files?"

Thats the big question--will the data be available to modern software? + Ralph

The data, documents, music, movies, should have no problems moving. Of course the System 9 programs will not work. Word docs should import as well as most Adobe doc. Appleworks does have some problems with combined documents going into Pages.

Thanks for the help. I am getting closer to solving the problem by moving the drive to an old external hard drive. Now I just need a cable to the computer. The documents are Word or Excel so that shouldn't be a problem.

I have this problem, too.

I have a Mac Classic of the year 1992 and it works no more because there is rust on the mainboard (it was stocked since years in a rather humid environment).

I have succeeded in opening and extracting the HDD, a Quantum ProDrive LPS (there is also an Apple label: Hard Disk 40SC) with 50 pin SCSI connection.

I have also an iMac (that one in form of a half sphere) that is still working and has already USB, as well as Windows PCs.

How may I read the disc?

Only on Mac or also on Windows?

Best regards

F. J.

You'll need a Mac to use the files, but some data files are transferable to a Windows system (i.e. MS Word, MS Excel, Adobe PDF ...) or a newer Mac OS-X based system.

So if you don't have a Mac you can use a Windows system which also has the needed software to read Mac drives: 4 Ways To Read A Mac Formatted Drive In Windows. Don't forget you still need the needed SCSI connection in your Windows PC to connect the drive.

You could even transfer your data to a more compatible drive for your Mac using the Windows system if you don't have a means to connect the SCSI drive to your Mac. Don't forget this older Mac system used OS-9 so the Mac you are planning on using here will need an older OS-X (Snow Leopard 10.6) to open the OS-9 Apps and its data.

Thank You for Your answer.

The iMac has as well the OS 9 as an early Os X.

There is mainly one file I'm interested in: the database file of a geneology program.

If I succeed in retreiving it, the whole work will not be done: I'll need a program that can read the file.

Quote: "Don't forget you still need the needed SCSI connection in your Windows PC to connect the drive."

I planned to use an adapter from SCSI to USB. Do You think that it could work? I could use it with the iMac, or if it doesn't work for some reason, with Windows.

Sadly, I don't have any experience with these SCSI to USB converters. What can I say, give it a try ;-} Please let us know if it worked!

Ok

Does someone else have an idea about this challenge?

Look on eBay for an old SCSI external enclosure. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151864689800?_tr...

Put the drive in it. Then use what I've already mentioned: http://www.tech-faq.com/how-to-connect-s...

Roy will be eternally grateful.