Model A1369, 1.6, 1.7, or 1.8 GHz Processor, 64, 128 or 256GB Flash Storage

System is very slow after changing battery

My battery life was getting shorter so I ordered a new battery and replaced it with no issues at all. Put everything back together, plugged it back in and the iOS Yosemite took a very long time to boot up. Then after booting up the top menus didn't display for several minutes. The mouse is lagging horribly and programs take forever to load. I have tried rebooting it a few times and no change. I am not sure what could be the cause of this.....any ideas?

Lastly I saw an explanation on how to reset the smc which I did, not sure whether it worked or not but no change in the slowness.

Decided to put the original battery back in and no more lagging, boots up faster and no issues when fully booted up.....very strange.

all MacBook Airs from 2010 onwards need the EXACT matched partnumber for the batteries.

make sure you get the battery labeled as A1405.

do NOT get the battery labeled as A1377 or anything that they say works with any other MacBook Air than the mid 2011 model. (some websites list the same batteries for the 2010 and 2011 models: this is not correct and they're incompatible).

I have had these issues multiple times, had a freakin headache because suppliers kept sending me mismatched parts; always the same result: the MacBook Air freezes up and is using huge amounts of cpu on kernel task because of the mismatched battery.

If you DID order the A1405, then you've probably got a DOA, and you need to send it back in for a swap.

Is there anyway to fix it without buying new battery?

my current battery is completely dead.

I had the same problem, I changed the battery, and my macbook became very slow.

I solved the problem by updating the SMC of my macbook

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1627?loca...

This update relates to macbooks not recognizing the battery type

hey bro, can i know the model and the emc of your macbook air ?

Yeah the battery from the manufacturer you ordered it form problem did something to the battery to make your machine slower. I ran into a few repairs lately that had a battery issue. Didn't know what it was until I saw that the new battery wasn't working properly.

$@$* battery. All Macbooks clock down a little bit without the battery. The Airs are much more drastic here, they are %#*@ near unusable without the battery. The first five to ten percent works like junk, after that it should be good.

If it still works like crap at 100%, try getting a REAL battery and yes expect to pay over seventy bucks for something of worthwhile quality.

Often a slow computer is caused by a HD that is too full. In order for the OS to create/write VMEM and swap (temporary) files you boot volume must have 10% of it's total volume free (empty) for this purpose.

You can find out if your boot volume is too full, (if it's really full you get a error message at boot) and delete inconsequential data to create enough free space.

Another reason for a slow computers is a boot volume with permission or MBD problems. Booting to repair (R) and running Disk Tools->Repair permissions and Repair Disk can cure those issues.

Lastly if you did not opt out of full disk encryption at install of Yosemite that slowdown is the files being encrypted... it should be significantly faster over time if that was the cause.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it.

thanks machead3, I have 53 gig of available space left. The only time I ever experienced the laggy/slowness is right after the battery was replaced. I tried various things to correct that but in the end with any troubleshooting is looking at the last thing that was changed/modified. Put the original battery back in and now the macbook air is running just as it did the first day i bought it. I decided to send that battery back and order one from a different manufacturer. I will see what happens when I get that battery and install it.

Good move - when in doubt contact the vendor.

I had the same problem. You must have a defective battery. Unplug the battery and run without it. Your computer should run much much faster. This was driving me nuts till I discovered it just tonight.

how do i unplug the battery? isn't it inside of the computer?

Take a guess.

petersonkevin will be eternally grateful.