Parts & Tools

Late 2011 model, A1278 / 2.4 GHz i5 or 2.8 GHz i7 processor.

Trackpad erratic and jumping around

Suddenly the mouse of my Macbook Pro started to jump around. The mouse is clicking a lot of stuff out of itself. I tried the following:

- To make sure it is no virus I plugged in a usb mouse which switches of the trackpad.

- According to a lot of forums I had to reset the PRAM/NVRAM, like explained here: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14222?view...

- I removed the battery to see if it was swollen. I also tested the mbp without the battery in the body to make sure it was not the battery who caused the problem.

- I removed the trackpad and cleaned it with alcohol.

Nothing helped! What is the next step? The strange thing is that after a PRAM reset the mouse will act normal for about 30 minutes. Then the problem starts acting up again.

Any ideas?

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Sounds like your battery has swollen causing it to press against the trackpad from underneath.

You should bring your system into an AppleStore ASAP as there was a recall on the battery and stop using your system and don't charge the battery as it could make things worse!

Would you give a link to that recall?

Excellent findings! For the last few days I was pulling my hair out with this issue. Then I noticed when closing that the screen didn't quite close all the way down. A curvature of the keyboard and trackpad was evident. Soon off to Apple this goes for a battery replacement, although there is only 432 charge cycles on it - this MBPro is from early 2014, and is on power most of the time. Many thanks for this tip! // Terry

Y'ALL!!! THANK GOD I FOUND THIS THREAD!!! My MBPro's trackpad was also erratic and couldn't figure out what was causing it, not only that, when I connect my iphone 7+ to my MBPro the touch screen was also erratic - touching different apps, switching to different apps, zooming in and out, etc even when I connect my iphone headphones the volume buttons were also acting up, if i'd press volume up one time it would volume up all the way or volume down all the way. As soon as I saw y'all mentioning generic charger, I immediately removed my charger and BOOM SHAKALAKA! this trackpad be running smooth again!!

Most Helpful Answer

I was / am having the same problem.

I tried removing the power chord (since I am using a generic one).

I also read somewhere (pinterest, i am not kidding) that repairing file permissions did the trick so I also tried that.

Not sure if what I did helped or not, now i am back on the generic charger and the erratic behaviour seems to be gone.

So maybe fixing permissions and/or not using a generic power charger could help.

interesting resolution.

Sadly, no. The wrong cleaner could damage the trackpad or a spilled drink. In all cases its still the same answer time for a new trackpad.

The generic charger is what's causing the problem to my friends 15" late 2011 MBP. I tried swapping my original Apple charger and the erratic trackpad behaviour was gone.

Generic chargers can definitely cause erratic trackpad behavior.

Yes! My (2016 MBP 15") started having erratic trackpad issues (cursor skipping left and right, scrolling sometimes too fast and sometimes 'sticking') a few days ago, and I went through resetting NVRAM etc, but what seems to have actually been causing it was interference(?) from a cheapo replacement (non-Apple) charger I got off eBay... the issue seems to have gone away when I unplugged it.

Problem was persistent after using in the kitchen while cooking … spraying with lens cleaner and fiercely using a microfiber cloth seems to have resolved the issue. Whew.

I had the same issue with my old MBP 2012 (15”) and nothing I found on the Internet helped.

So I ordered a new battery and replaced the old one with it and then did an SMC reset (shut down MBP, then hold Control-Shift-Option + Power key for 10 seconds, then release and power up).

And.. Magic! It seems that trackpad is back in business :)

I just made the replacement today and so far the mouse cursor is working.

Will see if its behaviour deteriorates with time…

Michael will be eternally grateful.