Late 2011 model, A1278 / 2.4 GHz i5 or 2.8 GHz i7 processor.

Trackpad erratic and jumping around

Suddenly the mouse of my Macbook Pro started to jump around. The mouse is clicking a lot of stuff out of itself. I tried the following:

- To make sure it is no virus I plugged in a usb mouse which switches of the trackpad.

- According to a lot of forums I had to reset the PRAM/NVRAM, like explained here: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14222?view...

- I removed the battery to see if it was swollen. I also tested the mbp without the battery in the body to make sure it was not the battery who caused the problem.

- I removed the trackpad and cleaned it with alcohol.

Nothing helped! What is the next step? The strange thing is that after a PRAM reset the mouse will act normal for about 30 minutes. Then the problem starts acting up again.

Any ideas?

Sounds like your battery has swollen causing it to press against the trackpad from underneath.

You should bring your system into an AppleStore ASAP as there was a recall on the battery and stop using your system and don't charge the battery as it could make things worse!

Would you give a link to that recall?

I was / am having the same problem.

I tried removing the power chord (since I am using a generic one).

I also read somewhere (pinterest, i am not kidding) that repairing file permissions did the trick so I also tried that.

Not sure if what I did helped or not, now i am back on the generic charger and the erratic behaviour seems to be gone.

So maybe fixing permissions and/or not using a generic power charger could help.

interesting resolution.

Sadly, no. The wrong cleaner could damage the trackpad or a spilled drink. In all cases its still the same answer time for a new trackpad.

The generic charger is what's causing the problem to my friends 15" late 2011 MBP. I tried swapping my original Apple charger and the erratic trackpad behaviour was gone.

Michael will be eternally grateful.