Released on July 21, 2011. Core i5 or Core i7 Processor. Thunderbolt. This unit is also used to run the Mac Mini Server configuration.

"Unable to write to the last block of the device"

I think i did everything right but now i cannot initialise the SSD harddrive (harddrive not fromated) and i receive a "Unable to write to the last block of the device" error when i try to create a new partition.

Screenshots / Pictures :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/12fcg738jzuxr...

Any idea here ?

Best

Alex

Alex - Do you have a universal adapter cable or external case to put the SSD into? See if it can be for formatted externally. If you can, you either have a SSD thats too fast for your system (SATA III Vs SATA II) or the drives SATA cable is bad.

If it were a normal hard drive I would use the "write zeros", format option to map out any bad blocks. It might work for the SSD.

no, the option is greyed in the disk utility ...

This problem has nothing to do with the drive itself but is almost always caused by a bad connector between the board and hard drive. A large proportion ,around 10%, of macbooks that come into my lab for disk replacement have a perfectly good drive but a bad cable the problem seems to be most prevalent in the 2010 macbook pro

Dani, Agreed, most of the time its the SATA cable. I'm sure Alex has since fixed his system given the age of the original posting. How about focusing on the newer ones.

Hi All,

I haven't found the solution yet as i have too much work and don't take the time for it to be honest.

I'll retry with your proposals. Thanx a lot for this feedbacks.

All the best

Alex

Hi, what about MacBook Air 11" 2012 where there is no SATA cable?

Please make a fresh question with your problem

The SSD's firmware is likely corrupt or the SATA controller in the laptop or the drive is failing. The SATA cable has nothing to do with it. All SATA devices are backwards compatible with SATA III, III, and I, as per the SATA spec. The drive will just downspeed to the correct protocol.

Alexandre Stevens will be eternally grateful.