Comprehensive repair manuals on all portable tablet computers by Apple. Repairs are likely to require heat and careful prying.

Can an iPad screen spontaneously crack after replacement?

I work at a computer repair shop, we do heaps of iPad screen replacements. Have had a customer come back after having their screen replaced. They claim they left it on a table and came back a couple hours later to a cracked screen. Has anyone else had this issue? Trying to work out if the customer dropped it and is lying to me.

Most Helpful Answer

Lauren Curry, had something similar happen due to some stress from the case. As a business person I would suggest that you take the customers word for it. Lets face it, there are always three sides to any story., theirs, yours and then the real story. Does one really want to lo lose customers of this. I'd think the smart thing to do is to replace it once more. Just my 2cents.

It is possible in theory.

The glass may be improperly made so internal tension is not balanced, or the case is slightly bent or installation was off so the glass is taking too much stress. Or all above happened at the same time.

It is very rare, though. Apple warrants single fracture on the glass, no questions asked.

My husband suffered the same loss today, our issue with Apple's are the screen is the most likely part to be damaged. Normally when you break something, you go out and by a new one. But in this case, Apple charges so much is because they are NOT replacing the screen, they are replacing the device…we also don’t get any solution for this problem can anybody help???

Just happened to us as well. Had the screen repaired, all working well that night & in the morning a hairline crack had appeared & the screen/keys jump.

The same thing happened to me, but a massive hair line crack going all the way across my iPad mini, (when screen is horizontal) not impressed at all...

Was this after a repair?

Yes same thing happened to me and now the iPad is difunctional. Will replacing the screen yet again cure it?

Anyone know why it keeps cracking?

Roger Riverside

This happened to me as well. I had an iPhone 6 screen replaced last week and no problems in the first two days. The third day I left it in the passenger seat of my car for a road trip and checked it about an hour into the trip and found several deep breaks in the glass coming from the top corner that were not there at the beginning of the trip and it had not been dropped. It made me wonder if replacement glass isn't the same quality as the original screen or if installation made the screens prone to breaking without contact.

The same happened to me on my ipad. Charging takes a king time and itvdoes bot last as long

Same thing here, picked it up after using it last night and a hairline crack 30mm to the right of the home button extending at 45 degrees to the left side about 60mm up, it has always been in a case ?

This also happened to me. Unreal

Lauren Curry will be eternally grateful.