Max ram in mid-2010 MacBook?

Apple says the maximum ram for the new MacBook is 4GB. Has anybody tried installing 8GB in it? Hoping the MB is similar enough to the 13" MacBook Pro to support 8GB.

Install only 1066MHz, i tried 1333MHz is NOT working in my macbook white unibody and the system crash !!!

by Guido

Can I install 1333 ddr3 ram on the macbook? thanks

by jotastrong

thanks I bought a pack 4Gb (2x2Gb) corsair 1333MHz, in an ebay offer http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-DDR3-Lapto... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/130419714457 but when I install it, the notebook don't start and have a beep sound I tried all the combinations (with the modules) now I'm using 3gb in the notebook one original of the mb, and the other of this the corsair now are running at 1066MHz

by jotastrong

8gb are listed on everymac: CLICK here for the alturl redirection (since the pasted links from everymac are always changed)

Good reference +

by rj713

The MacBook (Mid-2010) has the same chipset as the 13" MacBook Pro (2010), so it too can support 8GB of RAM. Apple only says that you can expand up the 4GB, but you can install more than that. When expanding the memory always use this type: DDR3 @ 1066 MHz. Installing DDR3 1333 may work, but the chipset will run it at 1066 because of the frontside bus. Just to be safe, use the memory I specified.

by Jon Fukumoto

+ @markus great answer. @Jon What you say about the 1333MHz is not really true that the FSB/chipset will determine the RAM speed. On many modern laptops/computers the RAM has it's own crystal to determine RAM frequency/speed. Apple incorporates a separate RAM bus using it's own crystal/oscillator on many of it's boards since moving to Intel.

by ABCellars

2010 Macbook can actually support 16GB RAM. I know I'm running it right now. And the brand of chip may be either defective or incompatible. 1333mhz should be backward compatible for 1066mhz. Crucial is excellent and Mac friendly. That's what I use.

by lyn

updated link:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/by_capab...

not that i know of. Well you can, the memory "should" work, but the clock rate "speed" the RAM runs is being determined by the motherboard not the memory. The BIOS on the motherboard for a mac won't allow for overclocking etc. So even if you put in RAM that is rated for a higher speed, it will still run at the default speed it is designed to run. Assuming of course this is a brand that will work with mac etc.........

1333MHz RAM is more expensive anyway and I am not sure what kind of "real world performance gain" would be achieved depending on what your doing.

and I don't know what you will be using the laptop for, they are other things to make it faster if that is your goal. You might just need more memory? (your questions doesn't say how much you have now) just offering my opinion even thou I was not asked.

Buying Mushkin brand online at a place like newegg best price i have found recently with good reviews. (WAY cheaper then in any computer store, at least when i checked last week)

I have 8GB installed in my A1342, and it works great. Apple specs say it can accept up to 4GB, nut in real world it will run 8gb. Mine was purchased from NewEgg - this item - 1 x PNY Optima 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model MN8192KD3-1066 - no problems at all (your mileage may vary)

I just upgraded my macbook 7.1 (mid 2010) with 2x Kingston 4GB SODIMM KVR1066D3S7/4G, rated 1066MHZ. It works extra well. Each memory card cost about 30$ ( in Romania) so at about 60$ it's a must have upgrade specially when you upgrade from 2GB.

Best regards,

Paul

You should always use the correct type and speed of memory specified by Apple. Always use DDR3 rated at 1066 MHz. On MacBooks (mid 2010), the bus speed is 1066 MHz. Using 1333 won't work, as you found. It's not

supported by the motherboard. To be safe and to prevent problems, ALWAYS use the memory specified by Apple. It will save you the headaches down the road.

I have macbook 7.1 2.4ghz core 2 duo white unibody 2010 with 8gb ddr3 1066mhz from crucial and seagate momentus xt 500gb 4gb ssd 7200rpm.

System is fastest its ever been. Yes it works very well.

Hey guys

I want to this to mine, could anyone point me to the right ram from a UK shop?

many thanks

John

Hey John,

Try Crucial, it's only 39.99 for 8gb upgrade there but look under 13inch macbook pro 2.4ghz

regards,

Jeremy

I'm so relieved to see this after reading Apple's claim of 4GB Maximum. I have two 4GB DDR3 1066 chips waiting for me in an envelope at home and was worried I'd wasted my $60! Looking forward to making this MacBook mid-2010 run better. At the moment my 4 year old MacBook running Snow Leopard runs heaps better than this new one running Lion.

Thanks everyone.

Be_Diddy

My MacBook mid-2010 runs WAY faster with the two 4GB DDR3 1066 chips I put in. It's easy to change, definitely works and definitely worth it! The maximum 4GB line from Apple is wrong.

by Be Diddy

Yes you can :)

Just installed Silicon Power 4Gb RAM clocked at 1333MHz on my MacBook late 2009 model and it works just fine.

To note that since it was the last RAM module available @ the reseller, I've installed both a 4Gb RAM (1333MHz) and the OEM 1Gb Ram (1066MHz) and my system is working without any issue.

looking @ the system info you'll notice that the clock speed of the Ram is 1066MHz. IMO the 1333MHz has been down-clocked to 1066MHz by the system.

I've already planned to get another 4Gb Ram to get the MacBook to a total of 8Gb of RAM.

most of the technical details you mentioned I'm unaware of... for instance I too have a mid 2009 MacBook (2.26GHz) and got the 4Gb Ram module clocked @ 1333MHz and 1Gb Ram Module clocked @ 1066MHz.

Already tested up to 8 Gb Ram on my Macbook and it worked just fine.

I have run my macbook with 8gb for about a year but wouldn't advise it. It overheats a LOT and has led to hinge cracking (however Apple replace the screen for me)!

Samuel,

I normally don't feel a need to respond to other's posts, but, with all due respect, I have to question what I see as a misperception of things on your part.

I have run more than 6 of these MacBooks, model A1342, with 8GB ram and NONE have run "hot" at all, and all but one have had the cracking near the hinge points.

In my opinion, the cracks are related to physical stress, NOT heat.

You may very well have a MacBook that is overheating for other reasons than the RAM upgrade, and also has the cracks near the hinges, but I feel they are unrelated.

On the overheating issue, I would check that the fan and heatsink "radiator" are clean (blow the dust out with canned air). If that doesn't solve the heat problem, I would go in and remove the heatsink, and clean off the old thermal compound, and reapply GOOD QUALITY thermal compound and reinstall the heatsink.

If you wish, and are suspicious of the RAM upgrade, you could first try checking to see if removing the 8GB RAM upgrade and replacing it with the stock RAM sticks solves the overheat problem, but I doubt that it will.

As for the cracks - welcome to the club - nearly all these A1342 plastic unibody MacBooks have them.

I just tried, and it works with 8G of ram.

This seemed to change. I'm on 8GB RAM in my macbook pro 13', mid-2010. This is the one with core2duo, but DDR3 Ram. There is a lively discussion in an apple forum that it can support 16gb (2x8GB) DDR3 now, due to a recent EFI firmware update. Actually all the core i5 models around that time (2010 15'' and 2011 laptops) are having problems with 16GB, thereas the 2010 core2duo models seem to run solid with 16gb ram.

Yay!

Apple forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/276...

OWC certified its 16gb moduls for these 2010 mac owners:

http://blog.macsales.com/16302-some-2010...

I will give it a try.

16GB for a 13 inch will ONLY work on the: Mid 2010, 2.4Ghz, 1067 MHz' ...

It has been tested and works perfectly

You can buy it here...

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20W...

strange, because my macbook didn't accept 8 gigs in one slot, the maximum het could have was 4 gigs in one slot.

by Xavier

Will it work if I put one module of 8gb and one module of 1 gb of ram? or is it possible to put only one module of 8gb and other slot to left empty?

The MacBook needs to be "tricked" into using 1333MHz ram. YOu need to have at least on stick of 1066MHz and then the other can be 1333, otherwise the Macbook won't start.

can someone tell me what the item# is on newegg for crucial 8gb ddr3 1066mhz. Whoever said they got it for $60, where did you buy it cuz it's $126 on newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...

I have the MaBook pro 7.1 mid 2010 13'3, and would like to upgrade to 16GB of 1066MHz, is it possible to work on my EFI firmware and how i know the working version, also can i use one 8gb and 2gb together of the same 1066MHz ?

My current system specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0E

SMC Version (system): 1.62f7

Hi guys

Any way put 16GNB of RAM in Macbook Pro6,2 (M 2010) 15"core i7 2.66Ghz?

Thz

Hey there, I don't think this will work b'cause of the chipset.. I'm sorry

by Xavier

Hey there,

Maybe it's a little late, but I just want to tell everybody that 8 Gigs of ram works very fine in a white Macbook unibody 2010.

I still work on this Macbook because it's still super quick with this configuration.

I did the same thing on my iMac from 2007 (but than with 4 Gigs because the chipset doesn't work with more ram).

I have to say that the iMac and Macbook are build from a superb quality and still works as good as in the beginning, only with a little upgrade that doesn't costs that much.

I have also an other question for you guys: what about upgrading from an HDD to an SSD (in the iMac and Macbook)?

Kind regards,

Xavier

I added a 250 gig ssd to my 2008 macbook pro with 6 gigs of ram and it flies! not like my 2012 Retina but its quick!

by playtone

Hey guys,

I put an 8 gig 1600mhz kingston stick and a 2 gig pc3 that came with my friends 2010 White macbook for total 10 gigs of ram!

I was surprised it worked!

Cheers!

Seamus Woods will be eternally grateful.