Mid 2009 Model A1278 / 2.26 or 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo processor EMC 2326

Bank 1 Memory Slot not recognizing RAM--easy way to fix?

It seems as though my Bank 1 Memory Slot is not recognizing any RAM I put in it. Here is what I've done so far to identify the problem:

-Computer is agonizingly slow. I order two 4GB sticks of RAM from iFixit, and install the RAM without issues.

-Boot computer, and it's now running much faster. However, it shows in System Information that there is only 4GB of RAM recognized, and Bank 1 slot shows as empty.

-I switch the RAM sticks between Bank 1 and Bank 0, computer boots just fine but still shows Bank 1 slot empty.

-Put old RAM sticks in. Bank 1 slot shows as empty.

-Restart with just one stick of RAM in Bank 1, computer beeps but is unable to start.

I'm thinking that Bank 1 died before I even bought new RAM--this would explain why even just recognizing one stick of RAM would improve the speed of my computer. Is there anything I can do to get my computer to recognize Bank 1? Some Google searches suggested loosening the screws around the bank, but this did not help me. Any other suggestions?

Sorry no - replace the logic board or, as a work around, run on one RAM chip.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it.

no way to execute some chip-level repair?

The RAM socket would need to be removed and replaced as its damaged. This level of repair can't be done by a DIY person as you need specialized equipment to remove the socket so as not to damage the logic board and you also need access to the part which is not easy in this case as the part is not available.

See if loosing the screws de-stresses the board enough to allow the socket to work. Otherwise you'll need to replace the logic board. Then is it worth doing given he age of the system?

Most Helpful Answer

slightly undue the screws near the memory slots on the motherboard, there are 3. should fix the fault most of the time.

This totally worked for me (after checking after I posted my own question) Thanks Jay Arvidson!

If you want to copy and past your answer on my question I am happy to rep you up

Ram port not working

THIS WORKED!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much.

God level ! It worked !

I've had this problem on two different MacBook Pros. Came across this answer (thanks Google!) and it worked like a charm. This after months of not having a solution.

I'm looking for the screws to loosen, i only see two (i think). It is an image step 34 of the disassembly guide, i loosened ~6 screws all at the bottom of the logic board.

Issue resolved

Michelle will be eternally grateful.