Released October 24, 2011 / 2.2, 2.4, or 2.5 GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 Processor

Upgrade the Graphics card on MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Late 2011

Hi guys,

I was wondering if there´s a way to replace/upgrade my graphics card.

On the System preferences I see that I have two graphic cards. One of those is integrated and the other one is using a PCIE connection, that's the one that I want to change.

Is that possible? Anyone did it?

Thanks you guys and thank you iFixit!!

Sorry, no you can't replace it.

Yes, the GPU is connected via a soldered PCIe connection, just as the keyboard, track pad & camera are connected via USB (internal dedicated connections).

Hey, you can find a company which specialises in soldering BGA components. It should be fairly easy for them to upgrade your GPU with a version, which isn't plagued with overheating issues. The repair is very cost effective and eliminates the issue completely. Changing the logic board will likely cause the issue to come back.

Well yes & no: Yes if you can find someone with the correct tools and skills replacing the GPU chip alone might be possible. The only rub here is you can't use a different series chip as the board is designed for a given chip (need to use the exact same GPU chip). So the answer is No you can't swap it out with something different. Besides often when the GPU goes some of the support chips also go so it often needs a bit more than the one chip. The bottom line here this is to advance a repair for a DIY person, hence swapping out the logic board is the way to go. Besides you would want someone who does this level of work to have done quite a few of these boards i.e. Apple.

YOU THE MAN!

I changed my logic board (luckily for free.. but now the replacement program is over for good) on my late macbook pro 2011.

Now I had the problem again and I figured out it's the goddam stupid AMD integrated $@$*!& card. (not blaming AMD, totally apple's fault).

Now, wit gfxCardstatus I figured out that the AMD chip IS the problem. Every time it switches it collapses.

I can't believe Apple changed twice my board instead.

Now I understand why some people were claming (it's just a 5 min soldering and it's fixed) while my Apple guys said (no worry, we couldn't just solder it, we had to replace the logic board).

They have no idea what they did.

Cant a new chip be simply soldered onto the logic board?

I am asking because i too have fallen to the GPU issue that has plagued MacBook Pro Late 2011 models.

Score -1

Sadly its time for a logic board swap out. You need very specialized tools to de-solder and then re-solder the GPU onto the logic board.

As to this being a big issue, nope its not. We have over 150 systems in this series and we've only had three that needed a new logic board due to a bad GPU luckily they were still covered under warranty.

My GPU died, and to my surprise and glee, the Apple Store "genius" told me it was covered under Apple's quality assurance program. So I had a free replacement installed there in the store. (They couldn't ship mine out for faster repair because of my aftermarket upgrades.) So if you still have your old MacBook, it may be salvageable if you have an Apple Store in driving distance. :)

How old was your MacBook Pro when you brought it in? The graphics card (no idea which one) on my early-2008 just died this morning.

So, so upset, my mac book pro has died and Apple are saying it's the faulty graphics card that's caused the problem! Other than this the computer was in perfect order. I'm told that Apple have stopped providing the fix? After 5yrs the £1,600 plus machine is now only fit for the bin.... Why oh why did Apple not offer this fix when I dropped my computer in for repair in 2014? Why did they not send a fxxxing email to their "valued customer" to say I'd bought a faulty product? Another mis selling scam??

Can anyone advise if there is anyway to fix this? Can anyone recommend somewhere I can bring the laptop to safely retrieve the data? This product was a huge investment for me, it will be a longtime before I can afford a new computer. I have all of my photos of my 4yr old on the computer (of course I have backup) but I have nothing to view on.

Any advice would be very welcome. Is there a place / forum where I can post to shame Apple? Can take a claim against them? Through trading standards for example?

Tia

hello, i had the same problem with the GPU, at least it matched all of the known symptoms. i found a repair service on e bay ($240)and sent it off to NY with great hopes ! They returned it within two weeks. It would not boot from the SSD and only booted once from the backup sata drive. it displayed the same exact problems. I contacted the outfit and they claimed it was fully tested and burned in etc., to send it back and they would look at it. i escalated the case with e bay and that got their attention. i sent the unit back. they claimed that it was a cable leading to the display, which they ordered. after weeks of waiting and getting run around answers, they claimed that the cable did not do the trick and the it was the display, which is total bs. they said they would remove the cable and chip they installed and return the unit, they refunded some of the costs. all in all i think that tad vaas, et al. are correct. get a motherboard and drop it in and save yourself the exasperation of dealing with unknown shops. hopefully the aftermarket boards are lead soldered, which i understand is the source of the problem, a solder change mandated by the EU to eliminate lead solder in electronics, etc.

Score -1

Hi, I would like to note that the solder isn't the main problem and it's only one of them. The one and only solution is to change GPU with updated model, which operates at lower temperatures. Leaded solder + Updated GPU + professional soldering laboratory is the only answer to the problem. People selling their services on eBay are usually a one man company and most likely will provide bad after sale service.

Component replacement isn't simple process, see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y67Qp-8m...

where does one get an updated gpu? I've had my logic board replaced twice and its failing again. supposedly I have the leaded solder in now, but the problem is coming back anyway

You can definitely get a newer date code GPU, which isn't prone to internal bumping failures.

@tfixrepairs

where? how? :)

Eduard will be eternally grateful.