Ceramic Knife

High quality cutlery that's not made of metal.

How do you keep Ceramic Knives sharp

I bought some ceramic knives when I had my steel one sharpened. Loved them - for say 6 months. Then - well, steeel knives I sharpen with the steel, and then have them ground.

Ceramics - sharpening professionally is $$$$

Unless you are cutting other ceramics or diamonds, these knives should almost never get dull. Use a wood or bamboo cutting board (ceramic, glass or metal is a no-no) and push less. They cut so well because they are so much harder than anything you will encounter in cooking. Bone has a hardness of about 3.5, steel knives about 6.5 and ceramic knives about 9.5. Diamonds are 10.

If you really want to sharpen them you will need a fine or very fine diamond sharpener. The diamond size should be as small as you can get 1000 or more (6 microns or smaller). DMT makes good ones. You can find diamond sharpeners at better Hardware, Wood Working and Sporting Goods stores and they should cost $20 to $60. The trouble is ceramic is so hard it will take a lot of effort to restore the edge. Use water to lubricate and clean your sharpener. Be prepared to rub (use light pressure) about a dozen times, rinse the diamond and repeat many, many times. Inspect the edge with a magnifying glass. General knife sharpening rules apply.

If you look carefully at the very edge of the blade you will see that it is sharpened at an angle that is different from the rest of the blade, try to match that angle. A sharper angle will result in a sharper knife for a little while until the edge chips off in your food (generally not good). A more 'blunt' angle will last longer, but will not cut as well.

Nice answer +

by mayer

Like it too +

by Crisb

Nice to have some experts waayy away from computers, that's what i love this side for. +

by remacberlin

Very well explained. This makes me want to go out and get a set. +

by Jerry F Nerviano

Good Answer!

by John

I use a diamond coated item ( not sure what to call it, looks like a credit card)

I want one :D

by mokash

Jaybird2005 was pretty accurate in that ceramic knives are pretty tough guys. Most are made out of zirconium oxide (8.2/10 on Mohs scale where Nanodiamond is the highest at >10/10). Hence, one of the few ways to sharpen them is by using a diamond stone/wheel. However, unless you are very proficient at sharpening, I would suggest having the knife professionally done simply because of how expensive it would be if you mess it up. One alternative might be to purchase a "cheap" ceramic knife (paring knives tend to be cheap enough) to use as a tester until you feel comfortable. I'm very surprised that the knives are dull after just 6 months. Do you have a warranty?

I don't even know how many times I sharpened my crappy knives before I was comfortable enough to purchase and sharpen my current set. 20+ years of sharpening knives on a daily basis and I still wouldn't mess around with sharpening a ceramic knife, just my $.019

http://youtu.be/Oqn7vcByIgo

Dear Friend,

How are you?

This is nancy zou supplying good quality ceramic knives in China.

There're kinds of shapes, sizes and colors ceramic knives.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/5-ceramic...

Hope To start business with you.

our MOQ 500sets for one style.

Surely, we can start from small QTY , like; 10sets, 50sets, 100 sets or 200 sets.

Or buy it by piece , but not complete sets.

Waiting for your kindly reply.

Best regards,

Nancy

This is a useful information. Can I copy your article on my site?

best ceramic cookware

I want one :D

Anolon Advanced Bronze

Aldi sell a diamond sharpening block=4sides for £8-00or £9-00. The4 grit sizes are, 200,300,400 & 600, the same as wet& dry abrasive paper, (silicon carbide). Be prepared for it to take a while,,, Dave Williams : Technology teacher (and amateur cook)

by David Williams

So, really. Why did I waste my money buying ceramic knives if they are not sharp when I buy them and cannot be sharpened? Just another ripoff, and it is manufactured in China again.

You just have to get good ones, and they're very sharp but fragile. They don't loose sharpness, but are easy to chip. You need to read the reviews.

by Alex

Thanks--my knives are three years old and I think they are losing their initial sharpness but I am so used to sharpening the non ceramics before every use that maybe I am getting ahead of myself--thanks for the advice.

I am happy with how sharp they are but how do you fix chips?

11team will be eternally grateful.