Replaced battery, phone turns on, screen doesn't?

I replaced the battery in my iPhone 5 and now the LCD screen no longer works. The phone powers on, vibrates, and even responds to siri, but the LCD screen does not have an image. I did notice that the screen shows somewhat of a dim backlight, therefore I know the screen is getting power, just isn't getting an image? I do not think the touchscreen is working. - Just checked again, randomly sliding my finger across screen. I can tell that the backlight turned off after a few seconds, so the touchscreen is NOT working.

I have checked connections, taken it apart multiple different times, and am leaving for vacation in the morning with no phone as of now :-(]

What could have happened to my phone when I replaced the battery? Since it is getting power, but not working, does that direct you to a solution?

Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance..

Have you tried a reset. Hold down the Home button and Power button until you see the Apple logo. This will fix backlight issues sometimes. Of course this doesn't address the touchscreen issue but I'm crossing my fingers for you anyway!

I have tried to reset it, but after multiple times it still does the same thing. The screen isn't working, but the backlight is, so does that tell us it is a LCD connection/wire issue?

Thanks for crossing your fingers, I need all the luck I can get!

Most Helpful Answer

I solved a variation of this problem. I have noticed that the original poster has backlight, but no image. In my case, I have no backlight and no image. I have repaired about 50 iPhones. I have had this problem twice now - both on iPhone 5S. For me, the problem, I believe was a connector. Do not dismiss this possibility too quickly. I had connected, cleaned, inspected, reconnected several times before I got this to work. With my experience, I am positive the connector was "snapped" on during the times it did not work. But finally, the display connector made a louder and more audible 'snap'. After that, the display worked. I have a feeling, the after market display assembly I purchased has an inferior quality connector. It was not a matter of pressing firmly on the connection (I did that). It was a matter of getting a good crisp connection after multiple attempts.

If you shine a light onto the screen can you see a faint image? If so, then the LCD connector was not inserted properly. It will need to be re-seated. Try it, even if it looks fine. In these tiny devices a hair's breadth makes all the difference.

Fixed mine ordered a new screen put it in and works perfect from what I read is the cables on the screen are very delicate you twist the too much and you end up with a screen with a backlight and no image

This is almost certainly just a mis-seated LCD connector--extremely easy to pull it up on the iPhone 5.

Follow instructions for removing LCD screen, then reverse them and see if it is solved.

Jessa

this was the only comment that gave me hope and I finally got my screen to work again. Thanks!

Jg scoot this happens when the screen is defective had it happen before serveral times and a new screens sorts it

I'm having the exact same problem. I've replaced the screen, re installed the original battery, tried another battery, tried 2 more different screens. I even restored it with iTunes. NOTHING WORKS! I can't see how this could happen from simply changing out a battery. All connections look good and clicking in as they should be. FYI: all my parts are high quality from etechparts.com

Hopefully someone can help me with this matter...thanks in advance

Woodzyvision

Yours is highly likely a blown backlight fuse, or if you can see the backlight but not the image (as in original poster) then you probably have some small component damage. I would send this one out for repair.

I know its a long shot, but there is a protective film on the _inside_ of the screen. I forgot to remove it from my I pad and touch wouldn't work. It was fine after I removed it.

I'm having a similar issue. Replaced the screen and had a little backlight in the bottom right corner. And now nothing at all. Faulty screen?

im having the same issue tried multiple times to fix im taking it to a repair shop tomorrow! its frustrating

Well, I'm glad I never got an iphone 5!

Apple and their phones that are made to break!

I replaced the battery in my iPhone 6 and had the same problem - backlight only. I re-connected the LCD screen and got most of the screen to work (the left third didn't). I took the screen out, air dusted the screen with moisture free gas, sprayed the screen connectors with electrical contact cleaner, then air dusted the contacts again. It worked!

several times i disconnect and connect the ribbon but still does not work at all...

I replaced my iPhone 5S battery and when I turned on the screen was black but a faint back light with apple logo was showing. You have to put it under the light to see the faint back light.

I knew I had put the screw at the wrong places.

2x 1.7 mm Phillips #000 screw

1x 1.2 mm Phillips #000 screw

1x 1.3 mm Phillips #000 screw

I reassembled the digitizer three times and with screws at the proper place and screen was still black.

In the end, the problem was really caused that a ribbon attached to the digitizer got ripped while I was pulling the screen perpendicularly to unscrew.

Thankfully the phone worked again after I replaced with a new digitizer/lcd screen. Even though I had put the above screws at the wrong places earlier, it didn't make permanent damage beneath.

Josh will be eternally grateful.