Repair guides and support for cars and trucks by Ford Motor Company.

spark plug electrode broke off went into cylinder

spark plug electrode broke off went into cylinder. what damage did it do.

What liability of this is fords

aaronscottartist none. Why?

.the electrode put a hole in the piston when it came out

Hi Linda, The only way to tell for sure the amount of damage and to keep more from happening is to remove the head and look. If there is metal floating around the cylinder it could be scoring the cylinder walls or damaging valves. Not getting it looked at could lead to big repair bills down the line. Are you certain a piece of the sparkplug broke off? Ralph

Most Helpful Answer

Chances are you have nothing to worry about. The electrode most likely went out the exhaust valve and is now stuck in the catalytic converter (something this small will not cause an issue) or it passed entirely out of the exhaust system.

If the car is running fine, not overheating, does not feel or sound like it is missing then I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't think the part is stuck between a piston and cylinder wall. The normal piston to cylinder wall clearance is from .003 to .008 of an inch (it can be less or more depending on engine, components, intended use etc). The piece that broke off would have to be very small and land perfectly for it to be wedged in this small gap.

If you want, you could have a mechanic do a compression check on each cylinder. This will show possible bent valves or other possible problems.

Some mechanics also have a diagnostic scope or camera that can be put into each cylinder via the spark plug hole. With this tool you can sometimes see physical damage inside the cylinder.

My opinion, if it's running fine, don't worry about it. I do wonder why it came off in the first. This is not common.

Good answer + Ralph

like +

This answer was originally to another question.

I expect it carboned up and resulted in high heat and a piece of either the electrode or the ground broke off and fell into the cylinder. I would pull and inspect all the plugs just to be sure they are ok. How much if any damage did it do? Ralph

dont really know skips a little bit but runs

Ralph don't really know

that depends on what happened to the electrode. First scenario would be that it was blown out of the cylinder and is now somewhere in your exhaust pipe. Second scenario would be that the electrode is still somewhere in the cylinder, maybe between the piston and the cylinder, that might lead to scratches and that to severe damage of the engine. Third scenario would be that the electrode stuck between the valve and the valve seat, the piston went up and hit the valve, and now the valve is bent.

The scenarios are sorted from: sounds logic, maybe and ......naaah

Linda Kennedy will be eternally grateful.