iPhone 4S

Fifth generation of iPhone. Repair of this device is straightforward, and requires screwdrivers, prying tools, and patience. GSM/CDMA / 16, 32, or 64 GB / Black or White.

iPhone 4s not charging

I have a iPhone 4s that had a very brief water incident and since then will not take a charge. I have tried different cables/chargers all the obvious. I have been able to take a battery out of a fully functional 4s and swap the battery with the troubled 4s. The battery from the troubled phone works properly and charges fine in the other phone and the phone that wont take a charge operates flawlessly when I put in a charged battery. However it will not take a charge, in fact when plugged into a charger the phone acts like it is in fact charging however it drains it instead. It seems as though the phone loses charge as fast as it would normally be charging. I was also able to hook it into a PC and back it up and remove all data just no charge. any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Rob, check on this. "Fake" charging is usually caused by a failed/damaged charging coil. Check for any physical damage, or if you have the knowledge and tools, check for function. You want to start by checking 3 inductors. For that, of course, you need a multimeter, or at least an ohm meter, to check for continuity. I hate to refer to those as fuses, but they most certainly control part of the charging circuit. First one is reference designator L3, it is a FERR-120-OHM-1.5A inductor. L4, right below it , has the identical value. Next would be the charger inductor L28 2.2UH-1.8A-155MOHM. All of these are pretty much available at mouser. com or digikey.com. Check the Diode D604, located just above L28. Hope this helps, good luck.

Look at changing out your charger port. Ifixit has a great tutorial on how to do that. That should do the trick. Here is the tutorial for the dock connection. iPhone 4S Dock Connector Replacement

Any reason to think that it will fix it since everything else regarding the port works?

by Rob

You saved my iPhone 4S, oldturkey03! L28 had no continuity, I got the same ome from an iPhone 4-mainboard.

Thankyou again!

That is great. Thanks for the feedback:-)

by oldturkey03

My luck was only for a short while. Now, the power management chip next to L28 is getting extremely hot as soon as I charge. I appreciate any help. Thanx.

by evonderhoevel

tried a different battery yet?

by oldturkey03

Yes, several batteries. But the fault ,this time, was in the dock connector. Strange thing!

There must have been a faulty pin.

As you are pretty talented: Did you ever succeed in fixing an iPhone 3GS with "no WiFi, no bluetooth, no EMEI" - error? They say, it´s the baseband to be changed.

Best regards

Erling from Berlin

yes i tried not give charge become very hot my iphone.

hello I HAVE AN IPHONE 4S WHICH STOP CHARGING 2DAYS AGO , I DONT KNOW IF IS FROM THE BATTERY OR THE CHARGING SYSTEM.ANY HELP

Rob will be eternally grateful.