1.83 GHz Core Duo or 1.83, 2, or 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo A1208 (EMC 2104/2110/2114/2124)

Reassembly problem

I have a 17" late 2006 2.0 GHz intel core duo EMC No.: 2114 iMac lol. The optical drive said November 2006 if that makes any difference. I took apart the RAM err bay thingy (sorry) and lost the metal springs. They look like a paper clip. I didn't see a guide with pictures for how to do that. I tried myself and gave up after a while lol. I also have a few screws missing (who doesn't? lol) I might need to replace I guess. I replaced the RVRAM battery, tried the "control+option+p+r" reset but no luck. I went ahead and put the RAM cards back in with the cover holding the cards in hoping it would still work lol :P. I've never had anything done to the computer since I bought it that was good, bad or otherwise till now. I'm also brand spankin' new to this stuff. I haven't checked any of the diodes you menctioned earlier so that may be my next step? Could it be a power supply issue? I want to replace my optical drive, replace my old HHD with either a SSD or a new higher storage HHD, put in 3 GB of RAM and Lord help me I guess replace whatever else. It's been both frustrating and interesting. If nothing else I'm learning something new and becoming a more informed consumer, so I think I'll go ahead and see this through. I also have some original music I'd like to recover from the original hard drive. Maybe i can bring it to my church and record our band there as well! Great site, thanks again.

If the RAM is not locked back in (pressed completely down to where it "snaps") your machine should not start... but It should also give you a "no RAM" error code either throbbing light or beeps.

You can't just stick a new SSD or HD in that old machine.. It uses a (1.5 Gb/s )Serial ATA drive most new drives are too fast for (3 to 6GB/s) it and so you'll have hanging/freezing problems.

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

Johnny Deester will be eternally grateful.