Released alongside the AirPort Extreme base station, this hard drive equipped variant offers 802.11ac speed on a time capsule NAS.

How do I Upgrade the new AirPort A1470 to SSD?

I don't care for 2TB of storage and would like a reliable SSD in there instead. Can I upgrade the new airport to SSD?

Can you explain your reasoning for doing this? While it can be done, I do wonder if its worth it. Given the limit of storage size and placement on a slower interconnect (the internal SATA connection of the system is the fastest), Network attached storage (either Ethernet or WiFi 802.11ac) is the slowest choice with Thunderbolt being in the ideal external connection (replacing FireWire).

As to the question on reliability between a HD Vs SSD storage. I'm not so sure if SSD's are more reliable in all cases. A device that is mobile like a laptop I do think it is a better fit. But even still, the amount of data on the device that is altered wears it. I've now replaced a good dozen of SSD's which are just worn out this year. Granted these were early versions of SSD's & we are very hard on constant changing of data on these laptops so that could be a factor as well. But, the point still remains SSD's do wear out. A HD over it's lifetime can be rewritten a lot more times, but the mechanics of the drive can fail. If its in a desktop or NAS device that is not being moved about it a HD drive is still ideal. Now in a data center using SSD's as a front end storage makes sense as the speed it offers across the servers has its advantages. But, unlike desktops & laptops this data is not altered as often and better quality SSD's are used (more expensive) and use high speed inter-connections.

Theoretically - yes it can be done, only you know your abilities. Detailed Removal 2TB HD Plus Install 4TB HD + Formating. Familiarize yourself with opening exchanging the drive in the previous model, then look at the teardown (not a guide) for the new one.

Take lots of notes and pictures. Use the recommended tools (every job is easier if you use the proper tools). You can write and publish the guide for this.

Good Luck,

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

I am not sure what you would gain from the SSD apart from its low temps. There would be no speed advantage as you would be operating through ethernet at best. A quality HDD would easily saturate that bandwidth.

There is a major issue with how it would be mounted though. The TC does not have traditional mounting points. The HDD is held in with rubber corners and a 'pressure' plate holding it all in. Even if you get a caddy it will likely not fit. Basically you need a standard HDD 'shape'.

Also the TC spins the drive down when not in use. I am wondering if this would possibly cause problems with an SSD.

You would gain reliability. The Samsung 840 Evo Pro has been tested to last longer than you could possibly live.

Maybe in a few years I could see this as worth it (cheaper SSD's). Today I don't see it. I would rather spend the money on a directly attached Thunderbolt RAID'ed drive sub system than putting it into a TC. That way I would gain the speed and the reliability.

The Evo or the Pro? There is no 840 Evo Pro. Plus they have not been tested to last as long as a humans live. Plus their test environments use TRIM on a computer and the ATC does not use TRIM. You would be mad to put an SSD in an ATC. There are no fittings for a 2.5". The fit relies on pressure based on a 3.5" chassis. Just get a quality HDD.

Sir, you said :"Also the TC spins the drive down when not in use. I am wondering if this would possibly cause problems with an SSD." What do you mean by saying the TC spins the HDD and what is the mechanism behind? Interested to know.

THINK BEFORE YOU LEAP

Friends, I use a Mac

. Now, I very often, feel the necessity of swapping my Airport Time Capsule with a Samsung 2TB SSD! But, it's currently, very costly. Besides, I have never opened an ATC before. Just swapped Lacie Rugged

and StoreJet 300

Thunderbolt External Hard Disk Drives with 1TB SSD in each. I run my machine using them together on a RAID configuration that allows me to logically join the two SSDs into one single 2TB SSD! But, still, when it comes to Time Capsule backup, it takes a lot of time, and generally I work at night. One needs to stay awake till it's done. Not that the ATC

swap is impossible. You need to mount the 2.5" SSD into a 3.5" adapter

and place it carefully without damaging anything in the ATC inside. And then, you would have to put all the things together in place to run it successfully. And yes, I would use a LAN (RJ45 connector) to Thunderbolt converter

made by Apple only, and connect it to my thunderbolt port. But the entire process is of course risky. Though, I am on my way to get a single 2TB Samsung EVO Pro SSD

in order to go for a safer config. through disk cloning app, I am thinking 10 times before I opt to open my 2TB ATC! Because it's always better to think before you leap!

Billy will be eternally grateful.