The MacBook family was first introduced in May 2006 and replaced the iBook as Apple's consumer laptop.

Why does my mac keep making this weird noise?

My MacBook keeps making this weird noise when I turn it on or open it. I think its the fan but I'm not so sure because I also think its the battery. Does anybody know what it might be?

Can you describe the noise better? Ralph

I got it too. It repeats several times until it starts loading.

i am facing the same problem with my Mac book pro which is two years old. Please let me know what to do . only difference is that the noise rare and it happens while opening the mac book.

I have the same problem please help me out how do i fix it now....

@mailes - Smick you'll need to give us more than this. You should also create your own question as this one is quite old.

Normally the Book will try to access the optical drive first. (whirring noise), Then it goes to the hard drive (sometimes a clicking sound). A squeeking noise can be made by capacitors going bad. Fans can make a screeching or chirping noise if going out. It all depends on the type of noise, and the location. Is this a new noise? Remove the battery and start up with just the AC adapter connected to eliminate it first. As rj asked, a better description is needed to help you.

+ Ralph

I just looked up "reason Mac would start making noise on start up" and found this thread! My new Mac (got it about 5 months ago) suddenly started making a noise on start up that seems to be coming from the right-hand side where the DVD player (sorry can't think of what it's actually called) is. It sounds like it is starting to play something or moving- hard to describe otherwise...like vvrmmm...vrummmm (lol), like switching back and forth. It never used to do it and I'm a bit worried because now it does it with every start-up. I don't believe I've ever used the player part before either.

Thanks for any help

; ) Danette

Cynthia Pena will be eternally grateful.