Apple's line of laptops for professional and power users. To date the MacBook Pro line includes 13, 15, 16, and 17-inch variants, with major revisions defined by unibody, Retina display, and Touch Bar designs.

Keyboard backlight does not light, even after replacement.

I bought a used MBP, Early 2008 Macbook Pro 15". A1226, that came with a French keyboard, and the backlight was intermittent. I replaced the KB with a US one, and that works fine, except for the backlight.

When I use the F5/F6 keys, the [on-screen backlight] indicator moves, but no change in the light. In System Preferences I have tried automatic and manual control for the backlight - no change.

Nothing is blocking either the speaker grille or the webcam area.

Ideas?

Fixed it.

It turns out that the keyboard backlight connector is very position-sensitive. I went back in and reseated all the keyboard-related connectors (again!) and was finally able to get the backlight working again.

Tim O

tjod will be eternally grateful.