Apple's line of MacBook Pro laptops was intended for the professional and power users. The MacBook Pro line includes the MacBook Pro 13" Unibody, MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, MacBook Pro 17", and the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody.

Attach a second screen to a MacBook Pro

Hi there,

i am thinking about a fun project with my MacBook Pro (15inch). i would like to attach a second screen to my laptop because ... hu it's never been done and it's just cool.

When i'm at home, i just use a big second monitor. but when i am not at home i also need more screen space with apps like Final cut pro and blablabla.

I think i am gonna attach the second screen on a rail. it will slide from the back of the first screen to the left or right from the first screen. i hope the rail is small enough to get a second 15 inch. but if the rail is gonna be to big, the second screen would be a 13 inch.

if you have good idea's i woud like to hear about them.

Greats Thijs.

Most Helpful Answer

I am very excited about this idea for a related application!!!

Having tried out the iPad, I realize that what I actually want is a -really lightweight- hand held monitor: like a detached MackBook Pro lid!

I would love to have a MacBook Pro screen (and other necessary components) hacked to be used as an external monitor with my regular MacBook Pro. I would use it in conjunction with a blue tooth keyboard and mouse. I love the concept of the iPad, but I would mostly use it for reading and taking notes on PDFs for hours and hours at a time, and it is a little too heavy to do that comfortably.

Anyone know of someone or some company that's done this?

http://www.shapeservices.com/en/products...

This app for the iPad lets you use the iPad as an external display, via WiFi

So a dock+iPad=10" external monitor that is IPS?

the iPad does have an IPS monitor so it will have a VERY good image quality compared to even the built in screen on the MacBook Pro! (Which is TN film, not IPS)

Thijs will be eternally grateful.