Apple's line of MacBook Pro laptops was intended for the professional and power users. The MacBook Pro line includes the MacBook Pro 13" Unibody, MacBook Pro 15", MacBook Pro 15" Unibody, MacBook Pro 17", and the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody.

Can I buy and replace my "airport chip"

I'm told my airport card is defective. Is it replaceable by me?

Yes (or probably, depending on your comfort level with opening up your machine) -- and ifixit probably has the guide to do so! You don't mention which model of Macbook Pro you have -- but here's the Airport Card replacement guide for the 15": MacBook Pro 15" Core Duo Model A1150 Airport Extreme Replacement

If you poke around the site, you can probably find a guide for your model.

UPDATE: It's worth noting that it's not as easy to replace the Airport card in a Macbook Pro as it is in a Macbook. The repair is listed as "moderate." I'd definitely recommend reading through the guide thoroughly before attempting a repair to be certain you're comfortable with undertaking it.

DKEE will be eternally grateful.