Entry level Photosmart printer introduced in 2009. Uses HP Tri-Color ink cartridges with a disposable printhead.

Loud ratcheting noise from printer

When printer initializes before printing, a loud ratcheting noise comes from beneath ink cartridge carrier for several seconds.

What lis likely cause?

Most Helpful Answer

I have this printer at home!! It made those noises for me as well until I cleared a jam in the paper slot. Also make sure all gears are still working and ensure there is no excess paper floating around. Go to the backside open the door and just give it a good cleaning. Also take out the ink carts, and put them back in making sure they are flush.

I'm keeping an eye on you flo. You seem to know your stuff ;-)

^.^ I do this for a living now, so when the shop is slow I answer what I can, its a learning experience as well!

On this model make sure you clean the encoder strip that the print head slides through. It gets excess ink on it and loses its way. Also check the printhead bottom to make sure it isn't coagulated at its base.Always brush the drive gears with a clean tooth brush. ( Best cleaning solution is a windex mix )

Please follow some steps

1. Perform Power Drain

2. Connect the unit directly to Wall outlet

3. Wait for some second

4. Reconnect the power cable

5. Make sure that there is no paper jam or broken parts in the carriage are

6. check your carriage moving freely

Hope this steps will really workout. For more canon printer support call at Toll Free Number 1-888-924-5460

Chuck will be eternally grateful.