New replacement battery for MacBook Pro not recognised

I replaced my Macbook's battery (after following the guide from iFixit) and the computer did not recognise it.

The only way for me to turn it on was to plug in the MagSafe connecter (which only showed the green light).

I then asumed it was a problem with the replacement battery (from eBay) and put back the original battery.

For some strange reason, the original battery wasn't recognised either!

I've reset the PRAM and SMC, but still to no avail!

I would greatly appreciate your help!

I'd reset the System Management Controller (SMC):

this resets all the power setting.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

New batteries need to be charged before use. New batteries are known to fail straight out of the box on occasion (especially cheap Chinese ones) . Contact your vendor about the battery. In the mean time try removing all power (main and battery) for a full 24 hours before reconnecting any power might solve your problem. Start by connecting the battery but not powering up. You do not need to completely button down the top case, but put a few screws in tight enough that the ribbon cable will stay connected. Attach the main and see if you get a red (charging) light. Let the battery completely charge before attempting to boot.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it.

Thanks for your response.

I have followed your steps, but when I put back the power cord, and waited for a little while, the light was still green.

Is there anything else I could do?

With which battery? Yours or the new one. Try disconnecting the battery and letting the system sit 24hrs without any power at all. Then put back the battery (new one). If the charger LED stays green it sounds like you have a logic board problem that needs to be fixed as well. Did you use ESD protection when you opened the system?

I did the steps, precisely as they are written above. I then installed the NEW battery, and the light on the connector was still green.

Should I remove the battery and leave the computer without any power for 24 hours, then install the OLD battery and see what happens?

If there is a problem with the logic board, can that be easily fixed?

Also, could you explain what ESD protection is?

Thank you very much for your help!

How do I protect against this when installing the battery?

It being Winter time many peoples homes don't have enough moisture in the air to dampen down the static charge you get from walking around a carpeted floor or even your legs and arms rubbing in your clothes. Even in the summer when you have A/C running you can have a static problem.

So during the winter months (or anywhere were its dry) you must control static by using proper ESD practices. Use anti-static mat which is grounded correctly to work on your gear and wearing a anti-static wrist strap that is connected to the mat so everything is fully discharged static-wise.

The other concern here is using the correct tools when working on powered equipment and removing battery packs. You need to use non-conductive pry tools (as an example) when disconnecting the battery power leads and using great caution with your screwdriver when removing screws internally when the battery is connected. If don't you could damage something.

Found this problem and already fixed it! my computer is Macbook pro retina 15" mid 2012. i bought new one from my local shop and it cannot open without plug magsafe. the battery status say "not charging" use power adaptor as source. even magsafe light is orange. also say "replace now"

Cause of this problem is the new battery have no remain charge and it absolutely 0% . I done many things in this post and other. (reset smc, pram , everything) and it useless.

So i shutdown. replace battery with original one (The one that come with your computer) then Boot it, plug magsafe (power adaptor). and check battery status, it should say "charging". Then shutdown , remove magsafe, remove original battery and replace it with new one. Then plug magsafe adaptor without try to press power button. you should plug magsafe first and only! and your computer will automatically boot. Finally, with some luck. the battery status will say "charging" maybe it also say "replace now". Don't worry, Let it charge like 10 minute and shutdown , Start it again. Your battery should say it have normal condition and everything should work fine.

Thank you for this post and all you guys, hope you all can fix this problem with the way i can too :)

ps. sorry for my bad english.

Having a major issue with my replacement battery too. I have reset the pram, the SMC. It just still has that little X through it. Does anybody have any alternative answers or am I gonna have to throw it at the wall in a blind fury?

This fixed my problem a month ago with a MBP 13'' 2011. Thanks! yesterday I had to remove the new battery again in order to change the Harddisk. Same issue after reassembling: X over the battery symbol and not charging. The problem is even worse this time, because I don't have the original battery anymore!

Thank you for your answer... so far i am having the exact same problem with the new battery.... it shows "Not Charging" REPLACE NOW ... cycle count is 0, charge is 0 the light on the charger is orange but it just won't charge.

When I connect the power it turns on immediately.

I tried connecting the old battery and it worked fine, i shut down, connect new battery ... same thing happens.

Maybe I bought a damaged battery?

P.S. I tried smc reset etc....

Having the same problem. happened after installing new ram, that worked fine, downgraded the ram again did`t change, bought new battery (tested the battery it works fine in other macbook). Tried everything possible. reseted it 500 times.... Cant`t reinstall the latest smc firmware, because already correctly installed. Can`t downgrade to former firmware. There`s no firmware restoration cd for mac book pro 8.1, the cd that came with the comp (old soft) does`t appear do nothing for that.

What else can I do?

I got the same issue with 2 battery (original and the other from ifixit).

Try all things show up in the thread :/

Has anyone found a fix for this problem?

I have the same problem. Have anyone found a fix for this problem?

same problem.

I've replaced a battery for my Macbook 15 Retina 2012 and I've reset SMC and PRAM and nothing happens,

Fans works at high speed, keyboard backlight fail and all the SMC symptoms.

Any Idea?

Same issues here with 13". TWO new batteries and neither seem to work. Only replaced the old one as it nearly exploded (bulged). Oddly all Apple stores in London are fully booked for the Genius bars indefinitely!!! What is going on Apple???

I had this issue aswell, i replaced the battery after the original died, the new battery didnt work so i took it to an independant Apple Certified Tech as Genius Appointments were over a month away; he did a free diagnostics check on my mac and it was slight water damage to the logic board. he reckons it was from leaving it in my carboot over night in the pigging cold, he replaced my logic board & battery for £200 (all original apple parts) and now works 100% perfect !!

Im having a problem, already tried two batteries. The first battery wouldn't charge at all and just said not charging in OSX, the 2nd battery charges and works fine however it doesn't charge to its full capacity dispite only having 2 cycles and being only 150 days old. Is this likely a 2nd faulty battery. These are genuine Apple batteries apparently.

same problem here.. solution, trash the mac, get a pc...

Fixed it a while back by taking the laptop to an Authorized Dealer/Repairer.

Apparently, there are certain things that the Authorized Dealers are doing, like finding out the exact battery model, the cleanest way to switch battery, and most important thing, to calibrate the battery after booting the system. I had no issues afterwards.

I am guilty of same .. buying apple . their service sucks. but there are a very few , apple tech , OUTSIDE APPLE that really know what they are doing. not easy to find though. I had same problem now with replacing the battery , and no solution yet. worst, I have a very bad experience before with same computer, as the first tech I found was a scum , took my Mcbook pro 17 2009 (still working beautifully) because I installed a new RAM and 750 HD, the computer wouldn't boot after that. so this guy, who had seemingly good reviews in his website, got it to work... only that I loose , lots of apps, the camera and the keyboard back-light. and the original mother board number changed, so my computer is no longer a legal mac.... few days later, over seas I found another technician, who manage to recover lots of docs, from my old disc, and among other things he was able to install Iphoto, wich I really like and is supposedly not available for new software.. any way . end of story, Mac service, genius????? THEY ARE USELESS , not only you have to wait a life time to get listened but they really are not computer pros or Mac pros. is getting unworthy to buy Mac products. as nice as they can look, the more you learn about computer , the more you learn mac sucks . and I still cant reboot my mac after installing new battery , when I turned it on, after fully charge and all. it turns on , I type my password, it comes on, I even open a website , youtube what ever, and the computer goes to sleep, but Nothing I do wakes it up. I have to force shut down. .. you like computers? you work with your laptop. get the best PC you can afford, install LINUX in it. when you learn Linux, every thing else. is garbage

redacted will be eternally grateful.