An expansive variety of repair guides for electronic gear, ranging from home and car audio to calculators.

Where can I buy de-soldering wick?

I went to a hardware store and asked for desoldering wick but they had no idea what i was talking about.. any more specifics or what this actually is? thanks.

You have a few choices here.

• Desoldering bulb(don't bother. These suck)
  • Desoldering braid(better, but practice on junk first. If you screw up you'll trash traces easy.)
  • Desoldering pump(bulb based; Practice on junk. If you keep it in one place too long, these will trash the board. I learned this the hard way. A motorized one is better, but more expensive. If you want to do it professionally, get that kind.)

You can find all of these at RadioShack, or any electronics store. But be aware the Radioshack ones suck. If you have the money for Hakko tools I would go that route.

Most Helpful Answer

I like simple braided copper wire. Strip it, dip it (in flux), and wick it under heat. As the wire fills up, cut off the filled ends 1/4 to 1/2 inch at a time. Its almost free because you can use any braided wire strands you have.

good advice and a great way to recycle +

great idea +

Radio Shack does sell desoldering wick, but I have found it to be of low quality.

Some wick has flux in it, which helps get the solder to flow into the braid.

High quality wick can be found online at places like Markertek.com, mouser.com, digikey.com and frys.com. You may also find a local electronics or pro audio store in your area with a good selection.

You can order de-soldering wick online at websites of any major distributors of electronic or soldering components. I do lot of shopping online at Digikey and I know that they have a wide selection of de-soldering wick in different sizes. Amazon.com has also good selection of desoldering wick.

You can remove a lot of unwanted solder by placing your wick over solder and than heating desoldering wick with soldering iron.

Tinkersphere has desoldering wick. It's used to remove the solder off electrical connections for repairs. Get some here: http://tinkersphere.com/electronics-tool...

iTronics Repair will be eternally grateful.