An expansive variety of repair guides for electronic gear, ranging from home and car audio to calculators.

Where can I buy de-soldering wick?

I went to a hardware store and asked for desoldering wick but they had no idea what i was talking about.. any more specifics or what this actually is? thanks.

You can either use:

• Desoldering braid (Cheaper then a desoldering pump, but you need to be careful about lifting pads).
  • Desoldering pump (Most of these damage boards from PCB burns. Buy a midrange one if you don't want to damage pads. Practice on junk boards first).
  • Desoldering bulb (These suck, but work. Not as good as a pump, but less risky. Practice on junk boards first).

If you have a local RadioShack, you can find most of these. You probably don't, so check Amazon in lieu of having a local electronics store to hand. If you can afford a Hakko desoldering pump, that's what I'd recommend.

Most Helpful Answer

I like simple braided copper wire. Strip it, dip it (in flux), and wick it under heat. As the wire fills up, cut off the filled ends 1/4 to 1/2 inch at a time. Its almost free because you can use any braided wire strands you have.

good advice and a great way to recycle +

great idea +

Radio Shack does sell desoldering wick, but I have found it to be of low quality.

Some wick has flux in it, which helps get the solder to flow into the braid.

High quality wick can be found online at places like Markertek.com, mouser.com, digikey.com and frys.com. You may also find a local electronics or pro audio store in your area with a good selection.

You can order de-soldering wick online at websites of any major distributors of electronic or soldering components. I do lot of shopping online at Digikey and I know that they have a wide selection of de-soldering wick in different sizes. Amazon.com has also good selection of desoldering wick.

You can remove a lot of unwanted solder by placing your wick over solder and than heating desoldering wick with soldering iron.

Tinkersphere has desoldering wick. It's used to remove the solder off electrical connections for repairs. Get some here: http://tinkersphere.com/electronics-tool...

iTronics Repair will be eternally grateful.