20

hippo3
73

My drunk friend slept with my iPhone and peed in his pants

My iPhone 3GS was pee'd on by my drunk friend who slept with it the other night at a party. He didn't tell me till the next afternoon which the camera was still moist and foggy. So i dried it up but idk if he tried turning it on. Two days goes by and nothing works, so i decide to open it up and look at the logic board and the copper contacts attached to the battery are corroded and have like little dark spots. i sprayed little amounts of contact cleaner and cleaned them up brand new but nothing. I'm charging it now but still no luck.

Edited by: Nat Welch ( ) , Sterling Hirsh ( )

Sounds like your friend owes you a new phone.

Ben Eisenman,

I agree with Ben- he should replace the phone for you. And maybe don't let him borrow it again...

Josh Calvetti,

Third that- what was the phrase from that question? "replace the friend"?

rab777hp,

I have to say though, this question had the most hilarious and most unfortunately misleading title I've yet seen.

rab777hp,

He might be the "friend". lol

Majesty,

15

rab777hp

Wow, you have some of the worst luck I've heard :(. Looks like you'll have to either replace the logic board or get the unit replaced. Replacing the logic board will be difficult, expensive, and require a lot of time and knowledge, if you have any way of getting it done or replaced by apple I highly recommend you do so.

You may have to replace some other parts but the logic board is the first step. You'll probably need to get a new battery, and maybe even a camera.

One of the main problems here is uric acid is an acid and therefore corrosive, so you'd best work quickly to make sure it's all cleaned up first, so nothing more is damaged.

Good luck, and be sure to check out the repair guide to help you take it apart.

Edited by: Kyle Wiens ( )

I hope its the battery thts what im gonna replace first :\

hippo3,

Seeing as you saw obvious evidence of damage to the logic board it would be a waste of money and time to do that first.

rab777hp,

Even if it does function with a new battery, it will only be a matter of time, or you will be restricted to limited functionality.

rab777hp,

7

GURUmicro
129

What a pizzer! I repair liquid damaged phones all the time. First I don't like contact cleaner on iPhone logic boards for a number of reasons, but too late for that. I'd suggest if you haven't done so yet, remove the logic board totally from the housing and thus removing the battery from contaqcting the logic board before proceeding with any cleaning. Then using a VERY small screw driver or dental pick, pry the metal heat shield off the logic board (VERY CAREFULLY) there are small capacitors that can be damaged if pried against, take your time.

Use 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and a clean toothbrush to clean any residual corrosion, oxidation and urine traces (haha) from the board. Then put it together and try again to power it up when dry. Do a hard reset (power and home together) sometimes with water damage it puts the phone in DFU mode or a similar state of semi-conscious behavior (sort of like your friend!). You might also have a bad dock connector,thereby preventing your phone from being recognized by a computer when plugged in (even if in DFU), charging battery or allowing the home button to work properly, therefore no hard reset ability and leaving you stuck in DFU and not able to get out. Might be worth the $20.00 cost of a dock assembly to replace it if all else fails

Good luck...Chad

GURUmicro.com

5

Susan
61

My soon to be ex-husband had a hissy fit and threw my iPhone in the deep end of our pool!

I allowed him to purchase a brand new one for me, but held on to the old one.

I took out the sim card tray and left the phone in the warmest place I could find that was without humidity.

Every once in a while, I would plug it in to the wall adapter just to give it a little extra warmth... but not for very long

About 2 weeks later, my new phone started acting up on a holiday weekend.

I pulled out the drowned phone, plugged it in, charged it... and it works perfectly. The battery did hold a charge as well... but that is easy enough to fix.

I can't say that I would go to all of that trouble for a phone with pee. Turn it over to the carrier and they rebuild them for the military. If it's just water, however... give it your best college try!

Edited by: Susan ( )

2

Justin Robinson
25

this same issue happen to me with my friend i went to apple they said i was sol but i went to a repair shop i was able to get it to turn on with the usb cable attched but it just showed my itunes apple icon unplugged it wont turn on so they replaced the battery wich is 20 but they charged 60 but everything came back and its working except my back light took a crap and i need to buy a new screen to fix that issue

2

Bill
25

My co-worker dropped her iPhone into the toilet. She retrived it and it was quite heavy from the water. Another co-worker said she read if you place the phone in a bag of uncooked rice, it will absorb the moisture. I was doubtful, but the next day she came back to work and the phone worked after it was in the bag overnight and she plugged it in to the charger.

2

Yuill
25

Seems to be a common problem since Bell are now offering a plan for free iPhone replacement in second year of ownership if water damaged. I assume this includes getting p****d on!

Edited by: Yuill ( )

1

b194
13

In my family we have had both an iPod 2G and iPhone 3GS that have been dropped in water. I was able to get both of these devices working. This is what to do if this happens...

1. Turn the device off ASAP, do not attempt to turn the device on for a week. By trying to turn it on it could make the situation worse.

2. Get a big bowl of Minute Rice and put the iPhone(iPod) in the rice.

3. Leave it there for a week

As I mentioned earlier this worked for me, I am not sure if I am just really lucky or not. We still did have a few issues witht he sounds and the dock connector on the iPhone but over time it appears to have been resolved.

1

Thinh Tran
13

Apple has an iPhone exchange program for iPhones out of warranty or damaged caused that voids the warranty.

My friend did this, gave them $250 and the old iPhone and they replaced it with a new one...

But not sure if they got this program in the States, this was done in Australia.

Might be worth checking out, before spending all this money buying replacement parts