My 15 month old thinks my phone is a chew toy. Drool does horrible things to the insides of an iPhone. The earpiece speaker and one of the two stereo speakers stopped working. So, if I wanted to use the device as an actual phone, it needed fixing. I have 8 months to go till the contract is up and I can get a new one, so I had to limp this thing along until then.
The repair went alarmingly well. I say this because I was harassed by my cat the entire time and I forgot to put in my contacts. It took about 2 hours to replace both start to finish. This is with a pee break, then a snack break. I got to the end of the putting-things back together phase and the back wouldn't go back on. After reviewing the repair guide, I had the spacer that holds the speaker enclosure UNDER the actual speaker... dont know how that happened, but it did. Once that was remedied, the back slid on like a champ. Once the back was on I fired it up and noticed that it took forever to find the AT&T network. I thought I was going to have to run to the AT&T and have to plunk down 600 bucks for a new one. I went into settings, reset, and reset the network only. Once I did that it found the network right away.
What I did to keep track of all the various screws is to actually print out the guides, in color, and as parts and screws were removed, used various highlighters on the page where parts and screws were removed, I taped the item to the page next to its corresponding color. This way when I came to putting things back, you knew which part went where in device.