These are some common tools used to work on this device. You might not need every tool for every procedure.
If you are experiencing problems with the Amazon Echo Dot 3rd generation, please refer to the troubleshooting page.
The Amazon Echo Dot made its debut in early 2016. As a branch of the Amazon Echo unit, the Echo Dot looked to provide consumers with a virtual assistant fit for homes, offices, and any other area that may require some extra help. With the Alexa function, users can ask the Echo to play music, catch them up on the news, answer questions, tell jokes, and many other commands. With a rise in these Alexa-enabled devices reaching 100 million units sold as of January 2019, the Echo line has added more than 50 million units sold each year since.
The 3rd generation of the Amazon Echo Dot was released in late 2018 and is currently sold at a price of $39.99. This 3rd iteration of the device scraps the original hard-shell design for a new cloth covering for the speaker area. There are a few possible common issues to this generation such as:
- Complications with voice recognition
- Wi-Fi/Bluetooth connection failure
- Speaker failure/speaker blowout
The device is continuing its production and is now on the 5th generation which was announced on September 28, 2022. It will be sold for $49.99.
Amazon Alexa Echo Dot 3rd Generation can be identified by its rotating volume ring, four buttons, and fabric speaker cover. Colors vary by marketplace. The model number of the device can be found on the bottom of the device.
- Built-In Speakers: Yes
- Featured Streaming Services: Apple Music, Pandora, SIRIUS, Spotify, YouTube
- Number of Speakers: 1
- Voice Assistant Built-In: Amazon Alexa
- Number of Microphones: 4
- Microphone Features: On/Off Button
- Calling Features: Hands Free
- Connectivity Technology: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi Compatibility: Wireless A, Wireless AC, Wireless B, Wireless G, Wireless N
- Bluetooth Version: Other
- Bluetooth Profile: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
- Headphone Jack: Yes
- Search Engine Used: Bing
- Wireless Connectivity: Wi-Fi
- Operating System Compatibility: Android, Apple IOS
- Works With: Amazon Alexa, Siri, Hue, Nest, SmartThings, Wink
- Stream Media Player(s) Supported: Chromecast
- Control Button(s): Microphone, Volume, Wake
- Wake Word: Alexa, Echo
- Indoor or Outdoor Use: Indoor
- Alarm Function: Yes
- Processor: MediaTek MT516
- Power Source: Plug-In
- Display Screen: No
- Product Height: 1.7 in
- Product Width: 3.9 in
- Product Depth: 3.9 in
- Product Weight: 0.66 pounds
- Manufacture’s Warranty - Parts: 3 Months
- Manufacture’s Warranty - Labor: 3 Months
Source: Best Buy