Released June 2009 / 2.66, 2.8, or 3.06 GHz Core 2 Duo Processor

install a new hard drive

do they sell or make a 1 terabyte hard drive to install into my 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro?

The 1 TB drives are 12.5 mm thick. We've had this question asked before but didn't find out if it worked. Maybe you can try this: Take the old drive out. Put some old playing cards on it till you get to the correct height and tape them down and see if it will slide in. If so then feel free to buy the larger drive. If not, better stick to the 640 GB that maclife mentioned.

When I wrote this answer in 2010, anything larger then 500GB was 12.5mm due to the need for additional platters. This killed your chances back then.

Now with the era of Advanced Format drives, you can have this in the 9.5mm, or even 7mm profile now.

Back in 2010 I would have said no. In the era of Advanced Format drives, yes. Just verify the size is 9.5mm.

Stephen Rzucidlo will be eternally grateful.