0

bennettprescott
1

Mineral Oil Between Glass and LCD

I've got what I'm pretty sure is a new one. My iPhone 4S (AT&T) was having problems muting the microphone as it believed a headset was plugged in. My solution was to deliver a short spray of WD-40 into the headphone jack, which solved the problem but caused a new one. Now there is a small blob of oil visible on top of the LCD. I'd like to know if it might be possible to clean it out by taking apart the phone, or if I would be better off replacing the whole front LCD/digitizer combo.

You can sort of see the blob in this photo, right in the middle of the screen. There is a very faint discoloration and darkening around it, leading up to the headphone jack where it started, but the blob in the middle is the worst. If I press hard I can get it to disperse but it quickly re-forms.

2

Brett Hartt
68k

Hey there. This is really interesting. It is generally assumed that the LCD is fused to the front panel, but somehow, you managed to get schmutz inbetween the two panels. Either way, the two panels have to be replaced together, which is quite a bummer. iFixit has the guide and the part.

That is quite a misfortune that you have going there. Before replacing anything, try opening up the device and cleaning up any of the remaining WD-40.

iPhone 4S Display Assembly

Brand-new replacement screen for any iPhone 4S. Includes LCD, digitizer, and front panel glass. Perfect replacement for any cracked, broken, or shattered iPhone 4S display. Compatible with all iPhone 4S models. — 50+ available at 34.95 each.

Edited by: Brett Hartt ( ) , Walter Galan ( )

1

Dan

Can't tell from the picture can you place something against the edge to wick up the WD40 out of the gap and then use a hair drier to heat (carefully!) the glass area to evaporate the remaining oil. This still might leave a stain. Otherwise its replace the parts time!

I don't know whether I can wick anything up, since the oil is primarily concentrated in that blob, and the trail leading to is it extremely thin... that trail could even just be dirt left behind. Haven't tried heating, but it has been in my pocket and in the sun for about a week.

bennettprescott,

0

Georgescu Ionut
1

having the same issue.. used WD 40 to clean the sim slot and it deteriorated my lcd, it has been like this for some weeks, but recently i've been looking on the web and decided to try some methods, I will try the hair drier later on tonight and in the weekend ( if the problem is not fixed ) i will dunk it in a container of uncooked rice.

Wish me luck!

P.S.: I'll be back with the results

Sorry to tell you Rice won't help you here ;-{ Its' time to get a new panel if the air dryer doesn't do it.

Dan,

0

Georgescu Ionut
1

tried the hair drier.. no major effects.. I'm affraid to try another display because this one has much more live colors then the rest..