Camera powers down unexpectedly

The camera is several years old. When it is powered on, it frequently shuts down, retracting the lens. This sometimes happens within seconds of being turned on, other times it lasts long enough to take photos. I replaced the battery, then opened the camera up and cleaned the electrical contacts. No luck. Any ideas?

I have a Sanyo VPC-T1496 Camera with or without battery it is saying camera overheat will shut down then it shuts down how do i fix this?

I enjoyed reading all the remarks. Didn't know there were that many fixers in the world. Actually, I fixed the darn thing quite a while ago. There is a little switch behind the lens cover that is supposed to tell the camera when the cover has been opened. When I found the proper tools, mostly a really tiny phillips screwdriver, I was able to remove the cover. I then cleaned and adjusted the switch and it worked.

Thanks for all your help and concern and speculation regarding free enterprise in Nevada.

Great job Ed and thanks for letting us vent on your question. :-)

Fantastic! Sorry about Nevada, it looks nice on the postcards.

Most Helpful Answer

i think you have dust/lint in the camera barrel. this is why it will turn on for different amounts of time depending on where the dust has got to..

try this link for help...http://camerarepair.blogspot.com/2007/12...

if that doesn't work it may be the shutter flex is faulty.

I actually learned a little snake oil from your shared and suggested link.

I'd go straight to the Olympus repair site and get a free diagnostic answer from them: http://www.justanswer.com/brands/Olympus...

The last answer is not quite accurate, its NOT the Olympus repair site, its a commercial site that charges for its answers.

well, Pete appears to correct, it looks like these people charge for what we give away. Does that make them hookers?

Well that depends how much they are charging and how good their service is....

Is it legal in Nevada? Can never remember...

I think it is the solicitation that is illegal, except in Nevada, but may be the website that mayer linked to, is European. That would make it totally legit ;-)

Ed Howland will be eternally grateful.