The PlayStation 3 (or commonly known as the PS3) is the third home computer entertainment system produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, and the successor to the PlayStation 2. It was released November 11, 2006

How can I fix my PS3 controller?

I woke up this morning and my PS3 controller isn't working. It was working last night and charging all night long. There seemed to be something sticky on it (no idea what it might be.) I took the controller apart and cleaned it, and the sticky stuff only seemed to be on the buttons, not on the motherboard. I tried resetting it and changing the battery, and it still won't work. I've fixed small issues on PS3 controllers many times before. but this one I can't seem to figure out.

I was wondering if anyone knows exactly which part of the motherboard or other parts in the controller that make the power turn on? I was also thinking that it may be the PS button, but I don't know what's inside the controller that makes the PS button work either. So any advice would be helpful! Thanks.

So no one knows what powers the ps3 controller and the ps button???

You changed the battery for a new one?

yes...i switched out the battery and tried resetting the controller...nothing looks damaged inside the controller...and like i said...ive fixed quite a few controllers before...so i do somewhat know whats going on...but im just not sure which piece or pieces make the power turn on...the controller is only a few months old...i was thinking that it may just be the PS button...but i dont know if there is another way to turn the controller on besides the PS button so i can test it.

im having the exact same problems

No one know if the menu of your ps3 is. Not coming out ....who know about it

Most Helpful Answer

hi friend pls check the ps button its fine .then the battery voltage check (3.7v) . then check the battery connector with multimeter the correct polarity in ohms rage the pin shorted the battery discharge . some conditions the charging voltage shorted check the ic parts and pin voltages

I didn't get any of that

Can the most helpful answer speak English please I'm an 10 year old girl

what ? Like im smart but not that smart please make sound less complicated

it is to complicated

None of them if it work the night beforehand why now look at my post I fixed mine none of these helped six dollar fix with jelly wrap

m8, try using a little stick and press the little button beside the screw hole

worked for me when something simmilar hapened

Wheres it located at

Left or right side

Wrong look at my post simple

Hi I would like to say that I had a problem where my 1and3 button where showing and I pressed the button in the small hole at the bottom of the remote under the charge port on the right hand side of a screw and it worked thanks:)

There are 3 main problems that occur with the ps3 controllers.

1 - Sync Error - If turning off the power to the ps3, plugging the controller into the USB port, and turning on the ps3 console. OR turning off the ps3 console, plug in the controller to the USB port, turn on the ps3 console and hold the pin - sized reset button on the middle upper right hand portion of the back of the controller for 3-5 seconds then move to step two. This is a common problem especially with other blue tooth devices available for the playstation to read. Also try plugging the ps3 controller into a computer (desktop or laptop or mobile device via USB port) then repeat the reset button steps.

2 - Battery - (This takes a little skill and an eyeglass repair kit) Remove the back of the ps3 controller, being careful not to strip or overpower the screws. Once the back portion of the controller is removed there should be a battery (watch batery) ,approximately the size of a penny/dime, located on the left upper back-side portion of the motherboard. Remove the battery for 30 seconds, leaving untouched and away from any power source, then reinstall. If this does does not work, also try another battery from a functional ps3 controller. If problem 2 still brings either 4 blinking red lights or no function at all the move on to step 3.

3 Dirty motherboard/connections - As in step 2 remove the back side of the controller. Unplug the motherboard (green plate in center of controller) being EXTREMELY careful of the USB plug in and cpu ribbon, 1/4 inch ribbon connecting the motherboard to the power source (the usb plugin in this case). Use only aerosol duster and blu ray disk brush. DO NOT FREEZE MOTHERBOARD by holding aerosol duster too close or brush any soldered (silver) connections too hard as this may cause hardware malfunction. Gently clean the ribbon, USB connection, and all button pallets (use front of controller as reference). After cleaning all connections and reassembling the controller repeat steps 1 and 2 to eliminate all other possibilities. After following these 3 steps then there is one other option, which I do not recommend unless you have proper equipment and a hardware engineering degree, replace the transmitter or the microprocessor or both.

Normally after following steps 1 and 2, most problems will be fixed. After steps 1 and 2, usually means there is a hardware malfunction either in the power source or one the processors in the motherboard.

Hope this helped all you gaming guys/gals.

Thank you so much now both my controllers are working again.

Bro, if u have tried all this steps it means that u need a new controller because the effort u are going to make in order to put it working won't payback, I advise u to buy a new one on eBay or so.

when your controller won't respond try pushing start and select at the same time maybe it works it worked for me

But I don't think that is a good idea. Instead if you bought another controller that is flawless again, what would you do next ? Buy a new controller again ........... ? That solution is not adequate . We need to think about the basic problem, then give solutions to it.

Firstly, you can check if the battery goes wrong. If there is something wrong with the battery, you can change another one. Then you can check if there is something with the system of your phone. After checking, please inform me of the detailed problem. I am looking forward to your early reply.

If you think indeed the controller is not useful at all, please consider buying another one. After all, there is no use to repair the broken one.

I have the same problem I was having problems with the random buttons pressing themselves but I fixed that but now my controller is not turning on If I connect to the usb cable it only flashes the light then If I take the Usb out it will stop showing the lights I left It charging for about an hour- nothing

Did u find out the problem?

dude u can try try this; first, open up your controllable.

be car full when u do

Second, unscrew ur mother board.

Third, take out the motherboard and the secound bottom base that has the censer on it then u wanna look for the rectangular black peace that makes your the censer from clicking random keys.

Forth, take that black peace out and put electric tape on the bottom, note (cut tape as the same size).

Fifth, put back the black peace and clean the censer keys that is laying on it

that should work

watch this if i didn't explain it clear.

https://youtu.be/fn5BAjSia4Q

Plug your controller in, press the PS button then wait for it to turn on

I have two controllers one from Sony and the other as a usb device to connect to the console in order to work, they use to work at the same time but one day the Sony controller went out of battery and stopped working but suddenly after letting it charging for many times and the other controller was out of battery then the Sony controller started working and from there on I couldn't use both at the same time, it just works one by one if one doesn't have power. What do I do?

I am sure that u have reset the controller if not try to do it

Now watch nay a now watch whip

my controller is for some reason not charging but ive even bought a new charger and it still wont charge but thats not the problem the problem is it will just keep saying it needs to charge when its full battery and then it will start turning on and off until i turn off my playstation what is wrong with it

Bash against wall repeatedly get new controller

Look Walmart online look for ps3 controllers look for the battery thats your problem mine did the same 5 screws pull the controller apart . Replace the battery point in charge hit reset all four will blink put it back together hit PS button till one light blinks let charge till solid it will be just like new battery from Walmart with jelly wrap 6$ new controller 60 to 70 little time but worth it

I can't turn on The ps3 and i tried to turn on and it still won't turn on what sould i do

Don't make sense??

Why is my PS3 controller is not working and I don't know what happened to my PS3 and every time I pressed it is not working is but when I get there when I get the cord to my PS3 is not going to work

Go back to school first maybe.???

I do not think so.

i am trying to sync my controller up to my PS3 and when i hold the PS button down it flashes a couple of times and then i turns off and then when i unplug it it just turns off and doesnt flash unless i push the button what can i do i was given it this christmas and it was working at my uncles house when he made sure it was working and he said all i had to do was get a cable to plug into my controller and my playstation

You have electronics knowledge you can find out the fault. Open the controller check the battery

Buy a new controller

I do not think that is a good idea. You are supposed to try to find out the problem for it.

Hey my system just says maximum amount of power reached what do I do?

kelly will be eternally grateful.