Fourth generation iPhone. Repair is straightforward, but the front glass and LCD must be replaced as a unit. GSM / 8, 16, or 32 GB capacity / Model A1332 / Black and White.

3206 Questions View all

iPhone Water Damage Question?

I dropped it in the bath on Sunday, Last night i put it in rice for 24 hours, I have now taken the iphone out of the rice and connected to computer.. the apple icon keeps turning on & off but when i put it in the mains charger it works straight away and asks me to connect to iTunes, whereas when i take it out of the mains charger to connect to iTunes it turns off & isnt connecting to iTunes. Is this normal? Do i need to wait till later on tonight for it to work?

Please help.

xox

Answer this question I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 1
Add a comment
Black Friday
Broken doesn't stand a chance.

1 Answer

Most Helpful Answer

Hi Jade. Significant water exposure can fry a battery, and I suspect you may need to replace yours. You can review this article for help in troubleshooting general water damage issues.

I'll wager you need a new battery. It's definitely a doable repair, and there is a specific guide for this procedure here.

You can do it! Good luck!

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2

Comments:

But when i plug it on to a mains charger, it charges... so i dont know weather i need to leave it plugged to laptop over night and see what happens later? what do you suggest?

by

You can try leaving it connected to your laptop for an extended period, but I doubt you'll see an improvement. My theory on the problem is that the battery is bad. It can't provide enough voltage to the phone for it to be able to fully start up (the apple icon turning off & on repeatedly). Plugging the phone into the wall with a power adapter makes lots of power available to the phone, so the phone tries to charge itself up. USB ports on computers provide much less power. By analogy, compare the amount of water you can move through a fire hose (the wall adapter) to the amount you can move through a drinking straw (USB Port). That's an extreme example, but it still applies. These batteries do not like to get wet!

by

It comes on properly though on the mains charger.

by

Jade Cairns, remember that you are dealing with "smart batteries" These are not just for storage, but actually have a brain, well sort off anyway. So, your phone may be saying it is charging due to the power management IC, but your battery may not hold a charge. Go ahead and replace the battery. Also remember, Rice is a great first aid, but will not prevent any corrosion issues that may arise, it will also not clean in between the connectors and cable ends, and under IC's, EMI shields etc. I would go ahead and clean the phone, it will ensure that you do not run into any delayed failure later on. Use this guide for the cleaning. It was written for a 3G but totally applies to your phone as well.

by

Add a comment

Add your answer

Jade Cairns will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 0

Past 30 Days: 0

All Time: 761