iPad 3 Wi-Fi

Third generation of iPad with Wi-Fi, released on March 16, 2012. Model Number A1416. Repair requires heating and careful prying.

iPad 3rd Gen Digitizer the same as 2nd Gen?

Can I install a 2nd Gen iPad Digitizer into a the new 3rd Gen iPad?

If so, is it an identical match?

Was wondering the same thing. I want to get a color conversion for mine but all of the ones I've found have been iPad 2's...

by Colton

They appear to be different parts (iPad 2 digitizer, iPad 3 digitizer).

That said, I've scrutinized the photos from the iFixit teardowns of both the iPad 2 and iPad 3, and darned if I can see any significant differences. The metal shield around the camera appears to have grown a spring-contact on the iPad 3 to improve contact with whatever it touches, but that looks like it. And it would be very in keeping for Apple to use the same part for both iPad 2 and 3 if they function the same way. The logic boards of each of the two even have their various connectors to the screen and speaker arrays in the same spot.

So: inconclusive. Maybe we'll luck out and an iFixit staffer will compare and contrast the parts for us.

Thank you. It would be nice of iFixit to that ;)

by MacBroke

I believe the connector is in a different location. I'll be doing one in about 2 weeks and can update as I have the iPad 2 in stock.

I just replaced an iPad 2 digitizer with an iPad 3 digitizer. Although the flex cable is different in length, it still fits the mainboard connector and has a couple of extra folds that got tucked under the screen, as far as I can tell, it works.

Mark Richard, Please let me know, after you replaced it and completed every thing, did the digitizer looked fit on the ipad?? or there was some kind of problems??

by Amr Najjar

iPad 2 digitizer does not fit iPad 3 the flex cable is totally different.

The board sockets (connectors) are the same. The iPad 3 digitizer cable is longer though. So, as stated above, you can use the iPad 3 diggie on an iPad 2 with a couple of folds on the longer cable. However, you wouldn't be able to use an iPad 2 diggie on an iPad 3. The cable just isn't long enough.

IndyElectronix

Will a ipad 2 digitizer fit a ipad 1?

Not a chance. Different size and design.

by Brian

I want the other way around. I have an IPad1 in pristine condition and my daughter IPad2 glass screen has a big crack. Can I swapped it out from Ipad1 to Ipad2 since my Ipad 1 is just a glorified wall clock?

by toleric

iPad 1 and 2 are too different. Better buy a new third part digitizer for the iPad 2.

by sifpilsen

MacBroke will be eternally grateful.