1

sindu
13

My toaster sparked when I used a fork while it was ON

Dear ALL,

I would be grateful if I could get some advice on how to fix my favourite Russell Hobbs toaster. I used it last morning and while I was toasting bread, my son suddenly touched it on its sides with a steel fork while it was still toasting. It suddenly gave a spark and my mains went off(meter tripped). Later, when I tried to switch it ON it did not. Please kindly let me know if something can be done to fix it right or should I give it up. I would love to bring it back into life please.

Any advice/suggestions are great welcome and would be very grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by: mayer ( )

sindu, what model is your toaster?

2

Check for a blown fuse on your toaster. On those toaster, the fuse is located where the power cable enters the toaster. It should be a 13A BS1362, but that number may be different for different models. Hope this helps, good luck.

Hi oldturkey03 , Thank you for your very kind reply. I tried replacing a new fuse last night but no good. Also, the screws at the bottom of the toaster are of different type that we cannot open with ordinary screw driver. The model number is 13790, 220-240v 50Hz 800w,Russell Hobbs Any advice woould be very much appriciated. Thank you

sindu,

Are the screw heads like any of these? http://www.squidoo.com/cool-gift-ideas-f...

mayer,

Take a look on the inside of your plug, that is where the fuse is.

Hi Mayer, Thank you for your time. One of the screw is of (a) Slotted type but rest of the three are normal ones. Hope this might help to advice further. Thank you

sindu,

0

George
1

Suggestion: closely examine heating element - may be damaged (burnt) where fork contacted.

Maybe check continuity of element where tester probes can reach - UNPLUG FIRST!

0

zakk
707

Just a side question. Did he touch the inside or outside of the toaster with the fork? If he touched the outside, the toaster might have a faulty earth, which can cause fuses to keep blowing, but also be a safety risk.