Model A1318 / 32 or 64 GB capacity

Can a 32 gb be upgraded to 64 gb?

I currently have the 32 GB iPod touch 3G. But I have it filled to the maximum and still have more stuff I would like to put on it. Can it be upgraded to the 64 GB iPod without having to buy a brand new 64 GB iPod touch 3G?

Is the NAND on the 32gb and the 64gb the same size and placement on the logic board? If so, say you were to replace the 32gb module with a new 64gb module. Would the ipod boot up or will you first need to install system files onto the NAND chip via usb NAND reader?

The short answer: not really.

The iPod touch series has its memory in flash that is soldered to the logic board. You'd have to get a 64GB iPod, desolder the memory off, then resolder the memory onto the old iPod.

If you need a bigger iPod, I'd say you should sell this one and grab the 64GB.

Another option is to find a 64 GB 3rd gen Touch logic board and swap out the 32 GB board. They are direct replacements, but that would be almost as expensive as buying a new Touch.

Brandon will be eternally grateful.