Repair information on hard drives or hard disks. Hard drives are magnetic data storage devices. They are used in most desktop, laptop, and server due to their low cost and high data density.

How to recover files from broken toshiba HDD?

I have a toshiba HDD but it was broken, i just want to recover all my files. what will i do recover my files?

What is broken on your drive? What are the symptoms, and what have you tried?

Does this drive can be recognized by windows? You could go to windows disk management to see whether it is displayed there and what is the status..

Have you tried some data recovery software? Like TestDisk it is a freeware.

Its not connecting to usb port and ive tried multiple wires and ports

There is one way that you can try at home. See if you can get the PCB for that same drive. Sometimes you can get those from ebay.com and even other sources. You may have to do a comprehensive search based on the model number of your drive. Once you have it, replace the PCB and start to recover the files. This will only work if the failure of your drive is caused by an element on the PCB. If it is caused by an internal part, i.e. Platter, read/write heads, or the head actuator, you wont fix it at home. There is also a possibility that it could be the drive motor. The only other way would be to recover your files through one of the many commercial services. This is usually costly and would depend on the importance of your files. Hope this helps to get you started in the right direction.

actually my brother drop the hdd (external hdd toshiba 320gb) while transfering some files. is there a way for me to recover other files?

Does the drive still respond? What drive is it and I assume that it connects via USB? Have you looked at the actually drive and the enclosure separate?

If the drive was in use when your brother dropped it the mechanical systems most likely got damaged (head assembly & platters). What happens here is the heads dig-in to the platters both getting damaged. Some laptops have special sensors to park the heads before the system hits the ground. Sorry to say I don't know of any external HD's that have this technology. If they did the minor bumps these drives get wouldn't kill them (makes no difference on the physical size of the drive 2.5 or 3.5 all are susceptible). SSD's on the other hand can be banged into walls and dropped many stories without a worry which is one reason they are becoming the ideal choice for portable storage.

I've used a usb to ide/sata drive adapter on lots of drives that won't boot or have the "tick of death" to copy off files.

It may not work 100% of the time, but, I've managed to recover data on probably 8 out of 10 drives.

Btw, I typically use Ubuntu or Knoppix to copy off the files. In the past I've had windows boot cd's give me copy errors.

If nothing else, you may try SpinRite. It's an oldie, but a good program. It may not be quick, I've heard of a couple occasions it can run 48 hours, but it does a sector by sector recovery.

Be sure to post back if you resolved your problem, it helps others that may be search the web for solutions to land on iFixit.

Good luck!!

Hi, I tried using a usb to ide/sata drive adapter on my Toshiba Stor.E (Model No. HDWC130EW3J1 )3TB External Hard Drive to recover data as you suggested, One good thing was the drive fired up and windows recognised it but unfortunately I could not get to the data as it said I needed to format the drive which I do not wish to do, the main problem with the drive is it will not power up due to the faulty pcb controller board.

INVESTIGATE USB, AND OR CORD I FIXED MINE WHEN I READ ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE HAD A CRUSHED usb PART AND GOT A NEW USB. I REMEMBERED MY MP3 HAD A SIMILAR USB CORD AND FOUND THAT WHEN I EXCHANGED THEM THEY BOTH WORKED PROPERLY AGAIN. I HAD MIXED THEM UP LAST YEAR WHEN A BUNCH OF CORDS WERE BEHIND MY COMPUTER.

If you want to recover data from a broken hard drive, the first thing you and I and all of the users know is that the hard drive need to be repaired so that it can work. After this you can start to consider finding ways to recover your data.

In my opinion, repair a hard drive sometimes like formatting a hard drive-it becomes a brand new one hard drive (except the look of it) 'cause of all the data which were stored on the drive have gone due to the repair process. You can take your drive to the good repair shop to ask the professor to help you to fix it. Once it is repaired, you need to pay attention to is don't put anything new into your drive. Why? Because this will cause the data overwritten situation.

Maybe you will ask, "There is no data inside the drive, why you still say it will cause the overwritten?" Actually, the data is not gone even you format your drive.

When we emptied Trash Bin (secure emptying is not included) or formatted the drive, what we deleted is actually not the file. You just lose the access of the file from the system. The space occupied by deleted files is marked as "available to reuse", so the deleted files remain physically intact on the drive until they are overwritten by other files. So the truth is: the files will be only deleted when you put any new files in to the drive to overwrite the original ones.

just like an SD card, you use a program to retrieve the information right?

Well... Almost ;-{ Sadly if the drive is that far gone (banged or dropped) there is very little you can do to recover whats on the drive as the mechanical elements are damaged. You'll need the ship the drive to a recovery serve which open the drive in an ultra clean room and try to repair the drive mechanicals just long enough to recover the information. This service is quite expensive! Ideally, you should have a backup of your important data.

If your computer cannot boot due to the crashed hard drive, remove and connect it to another Windows computer. Check if you can access to the Windows system and the hard drive can be detected. If the hard drive can be detected but you can’t access to your data on it, you can retrieve data from crashed hard drive with hard drive data recovery tool.

See dear any type of physical stress like dropping causes problem in the mechanical components of the drive. And when the mechanical components experiences any kind of physical stress then the hard drive gets physically damaged making the stored data inaccessible. But you need not to worry you just need not to tamper with the hard drive and consult a hard drive recovery expert as soon as possible. These experts will recover your data in a secure manner.

Paul will be eternally grateful.