What is this mystery piece of magnetic metal?

I recently had to crack open my LCD to clean out some milk from between the various panels (don't ask).

At some point a small piece of metal fell out from somewhere:


That's just a dot of blue ink that you can see on it. It was magnetized slightly, but I couldn't find where it came from. I ended up stuffing it into a little groove where it obviously didn't belong.

Does anybody know what this is?


Is it possible to inline images with the wiki syntax?


I just posted a blog entry with the details of my milk-spill adventure:


Answered! View the answer I have this problem too

Is this a good question?

Score 1


you can post pictures right on your question by selecting the TV looking icon to the far right on your options pane.


Add a comment

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

1 Answer

Chosen Solution

That magnetic piece might be the one that triggers the sleep mechanism when u close your display. Try putting your machine to sleep by closing the display, and see what happens. There are a few of those lined up around the display assembly in the MacBook, not sure of the Pro.

Was this answer helpful?

Score 2


It looks pretty similar. I just tested sleep and it works, so maybe I did actually put it back in the correct location...


oh ok, so you're good to go.


just for future reference (tags also added to this post), the magnet activates what's called a reed switch to control sleep mode. In the case of this MBP the magnet is in the display bezel and the reed switch is in the opposing location in the main body of the computer. Some other model laptops have these components reversed i.e. reed switch in bezel, magnet in main body.


Add a comment

Add your answer

Mike will be eternally grateful.
View Statistics:

Past 24 Hours: 0

Past 7 Days: 5

Past 30 Days: 15

All Time: 9,149